View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 AM

Tiger to Leopard Migration / SD! & TM / Online backup interference?

Hello,

I'm preparing a transition from Tiger to Leopard
- I want to make a copy of my files or my entire Tiger system, in case something goes wrong;
- In the end I want to create a bootable image with SuperDuper (that I intend to buy in a few days) on one partition and initiate Time Machine for user files on another partition;
- I will use a LaCie 500 Gig external hard drive partitioned using GUID and Mac OS X Extended (journalized);
- I also evaluate the option of using an online backup, with a service like iDrive, of user files as part of my backup strategy.

I have two scenarios and some questions.

Here are the scenarios :

a- (Copy Tiger files) : Partition the drive in two 250 Gig partitions (A and B) / Copy data on partition B / Install Leopard /Install SuperDuper / Create bootable image on A / Erase files on B / Initiate Time Machine for user files on B ;

b- (Create Tiger bootable image) : Partition the drive / Install SuperDuper on Tiger / Create Tiger bootable image on B / Install Leopard / Create Leopard bootable image on A / Erase files on B / Initiate Time Machine on B.

Now, the questions:

1 - With the b- scenario, I would be able to load the Tiger system and files from the external drive in case something goes wrong during the Leopard switch. Would it be appropriate?

2 - If something goes wrong while I'm installing Leopard, could I have problems loading a bootable Tiger image?

3 - Regarding the Time Machine configuration, are there any special considerations I should take a look at to prevent conflicts with SuperDuper! ?

4- Regarding the iDrive service configuration, are there any special considerations I should take a look at to prevent conflicts with SuperDuper! ? I read that FileVault users had some issues, where the file created by this software was included in SD! backups.

Thanks !