View Single Post
Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 PM

SuperDuper is GREAT!!

I'm new to the Mac community, but I've been doing PC backups for lots of years with many different back up programs. I currently use Acronis True Image and I love it. Along comes my new Macbook purchase and with it, Time Machine. Different, but at least the first time I used it, it seemed to do a decent job backing up a smallish GB file set. I didn't think I'd need anything else...

Well, turns out my 120GB hard drive was too small for all the music files I was putting on my Macbook, so I decided to install a 320GB hard drive instead. I already had my Time Machine backup, but decided to use the free version of SuperDuper to give me additional backup coverage. I loved that it did my backup fairly fast, but I was particularly pleased that I also got a bootable image as well...

I installed the new hard drive and used SuperDuper to put my image back on it.

Now it gets interesting. I put lots of music on my Mac and ended up with 51 GBs on the hard drive. I started Time machine one evening at 10 PM and at 9 AM the next morning, it was still trying to back up that 51 GBs!!! I wanted to use the machine, so I canceled the backup and went about my business. In the afternoon, I started SuperDuper and it backed up that 51 GBs in 1 hour and 26 minutes!!! Fantastic!! So I immediately coughed up my $27.95 and registered my copy of SuperDuper, and now Time Machine is history...

Thanks Shirt Pocket for a great product!!

NoelS