View Single Post
Old 07-16-2005, 04:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to dnanian
As long as you do the backup before you upgrade to Tiger, you should be OK. Note, though, that I'm not certainly the Simple Tech drive is bootable under OSX. Are you sure it is? (Manufacturers will often use "compatible" pretty loosely...)

Note, also, that it's likely the external drive will come formatted for Windows, so be sure to use Disk Utility to erase it, using "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the format.

I'm not sure a manual is going to explain the command I gave, let alone with the file I specify does. Basically, all the command does is erase a single file from the drive. Since it's a "system" file, you need to "authenticate" as a privileged user before you can erase it -- that's what the "sudo" part does. (It's just like typing in your password when you install an update or application.)

The file you're removing is a very simple file that keeps track of what external volumes have ownership on/off. The one shipped with Tiger, though, is in a format that's incompatible with the application that manages it. By erasing it, that application can put a new one in its place, which resolves the problem.

Hope that helps rather than confusing you more!