View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 04:34 PM

Thanks for your reply.

As I'm thinking through this strategy, I'm wondering about the relative advantages/disadvantages of making a "shared users" Sandbox vs. a "shared users and Applications" Sandbox. I can think of a few considerations:

1. With a "shared users and apps" Sandbox the Sandbox takes up less room (but storage is cheap...I don't care about this) Advantage: "shared users and apps"
2. With a "shared users" Sandbox, I end up with two full copies of everything in the Applications folder. This means that when I do an "open with" selection I get two copies of every entry, and if I ever (and I do) use the "Use this application to open all documents like this" I may well end up accidently choosing the wrong version of the application, because "open with" doesn't disclose which volume their choices reside on, at least not as far as I can tell. Advantage: "shared users"
3. With a "shared users" Sandbox, I don't have to worry about making sure that newly installed apps get reinstalled on the underlying drive, either manually or by "cloning back." Advantage: "Shared users"

Are there other pros and cons of a "shared users" vs. "shared users and apps" Sandbox?