View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 07:35 PM

I have a question related to this also. I understand that SD can work with Volume Groups, so that Data/System are both backed up now...here are a couple questions though..
  1. so called file "clones", will they become non-cloned file copies in the SD backup volume? I basically don't use that feature, but am somewhat wondering if anything from Apple or other developers would be using that and is there any concern about it?

2. What about when there are snapshots in the source Catalina volumes? I guess the backup will always just be the last one. yes?

3. One thing I have never understand is about how the Preboot, Recovery volumes are recovered in the case that I need to recover a backup to a brand new unformatted drive. Does SD include those in the backup it makes or must I use some preliminary step prior to restoring from my SD-clone, so that the final result will be a completely function Catalina APFS container that includes System, Data, Recovery, Preboot, VM. ?

I guess I would use install media, does it mean that in order to restore that I will always need to use install media first to install Catalina to the new media first and then use Disk Utility after that to restore the SD-clone into it?

4. Is there any way to do a lower level clone of the Catalina APFS container so that it will be more like a true bit for bit clone of it including all the mentioned volumes as well as snapshots, file-cloning, etc..?

Last edited by Dewdman42; 05-31-2021 at 07:38 PM.