View Single Post
Old 11-18-2006, 11:52 PM

I use SuperDuper on a 10.3.9 system and it evaluates about 400,000 "items" each time, which includes about 65,000 folders and 330,000 files.

Your 450,000 count seems consistent with what I have (considering that there should be a natural variation depending on what software you might have installed that is different from mine). The earlier counts of 180,000 to 290,000 seem to be on the low side, maybe related to your system problems (some components were deleted or missing, file system damage preventing access to some files, or some blocks of your disk went bad?). However when one installs the operating system (whether the original install, or your archive and install), one can select or deselect certain items and that can lead to up to a factor of two or so in disk space needed, and can also certainly affect the file count as well. If you just did an archive and install, I'd strongly suspect your current system is "correct" and it was the earlier system and its lower file counts that were "bad."

In any case, your file counts seem in line with mine in SuperDuper with 10.3.9.