View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 09:08 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnanian
It sounds to me like you're using SuperDuper! to back up over a network (since you can't really log into a computer as "guest" directly). If you're storing the backup on a drive inside an image, the permission setting for that drive doesn't really matter, since the image itself with have permissions ON (unchecked).

It's critical to use Permissions in general when trying to make a backup. The reason why is simple: every file and folder on the system has ownership and permission information. Checking the box (turning ownership off) makes the system ignore that information, which also makes it impossible to save and restore properly.
The clone I made was just to a normal firewire drive which worked perfectly. I didn't even notice the checkbox at that stage. I had just bought the hd and I made three partitions on it. One for the backup of my hd and one for my own archive and another to be used as storage space for another computer on my ethernet network. It was only when I was trying to get the other computer to be able to use their partitions that the permissions thing came up. I didn't realise that they had to log in with my name and password to see the volume I had reserved for them. Before I discovered this I thought it was a permissions issue.

Anyway before I made the clone I had noticed that the permissions checkbox was checked by default. The clone was made with this on. I have checked the clone and everything is fine. All the permissions on the clone are correct and the same as the hd. The 'ignore permissions' was checked when I cloned the hd and they are still checked now, but all the permisssions are fine.

The only reason I'm writing right now is because of this thread which warns against having that box checked, not because there is a problem.

So I'm a bit confused about it. I repeat there is no current problem and it was cloned with the 'ignore permissions' box checked and it is still checked. What is supposed to go wrong?