View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of diskutil, which is what's doing the mounting. Or replacing diskutil with something that's suid-ed and calling out to the real one.
You have lost me there Dave in more ways than one.

I am not a programmer.
I can hack my way around some problems with shell scripts, fugly Applescripts or with dull edged open source tools…

OS X seems to ignore SUID with shell scripts (the tiny part of the Apple docs I could understand supported this).

I did try calling diskutil in a SUID'd script but I really can't see how that is safer than calling diskutil directly from launchd or cron as a privileged user. It didn't work anyway even with the full paths.

Frankly I don't know how to fix this issue, and it strikes me as a fragile solution (run something before & after your schedules to mount and unmount the disk and hope we don't step on each others toes).

When I give any application my admin password to manage my 'system wide' backups that includes mounting the required disk.

The current user's account type is irrelevant to me when I am capable of elevating inside the app to admin permissions for cloning an entire system.

CarbonCopyCloner mounts & unmounts disks on scheduled copies. I can set CCC up for my family and it should be fine.

It even runs with no user logged in at all! No nagging, just backups that actually have a chance of running. It has less granular scheduling but who cares if it works.

Sorry Dave, I have used and recommended SuperDuper! for years, but this situation is not suitable for me or anyone I know (everyone I know wants 'set & forget' - a risk I know, but that is how people think).

I recently upgraded from 10.6 to 10.9 and I decided to use a standard account, which is why I had assumed SD! was taking care of everything.

You & Mike Bombich are smarter than I am, see if he has any bright ideas to work around this, I do want to support you since you seem like a nice guy on various podcasts & in these forums :^)

Cheers & all the best.