Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   error with SC aborting (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387)

camner 05-18-2005 11:18 AM

error with SC aborting
 
Here's the final few entries of the console log after SD! aborted during a safety clone operation:

Code:

|11:06:35 PM|Info|      Ignoring /private/var/vm
|11:23:22 PM|Error| SVUclone: Error: Couldn't create
|11:23:22 PM|Error| : Result too large
|11:23:22 PM|Error| SVUclone: Error copying /.hotfiles.btree to /Volumes/G4 SC/.hotfiles.btree of type 8
|11:23:22 PM|Error| : Result too large
|11:23:22 PM|Error| ****FAILED****: result=256 errno=1 (Operation not permitted)
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Ignoring /Volumes/G4 old
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Ignoring /Volumes/G4 SC
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Ignoring /Volumes/G4
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Ignoring /mach
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Ignoring /mach.sym
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Ignoring /Desktop DF
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Ignoring /Desktop DB
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      WARNING:  Caught I/O exception(16): Resource busy
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      WARNING:  Source: /.hotfiles.btree, lstat(): 0
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      WARNING:  Target: /Volumes/G4 SC/.hotfiles.btree, lstat(): 0
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Logging attributes for item: /.hotfiles.btree of type: 8
|11:23:22 PM|Info|      Error copying /.hotfiles.btree to /Volumes/G4 SC/.hotfiles.btree of type 8

Right after the abort, the target disk had over 6GB space left (of 15 GB allocated), and I had started with a "safe boot".

Is this a space problem, or something else?

Thank you.

dnanian 05-18-2005 11:28 AM

I actually don't know, camner. The log also indicates that you're encountering something I've not seen before -- "resource busy". Perhaps the system is having trouble updating its hotfile cache because you booted in Safe mode and you ran this too soon thereafter.

I'd try waiting a few minutes (10-20?) and then giving it another shot.

camner 05-18-2005 11:50 AM

Well, I don't know if I changed too much, but I removed the "Previous System1" folder from the "Previous System" folder and then reran SD! (about 8 hours later than the original run), and then SD! completed normally (the only thing that didn't carry over was an app in my dock turned into a question mark, which was easily taken care of).

This may be coincidence, since the time frame changed AND I changed the source material, but it is what it is, and it seemed to solve the problem.

dnanian 05-18-2005 11:53 AM

I'd actually remove the whole "Previous Systems" folder from the top, but whatever works for you... :)

(Yeah, it's hard to draw conclusions about what made the difference...)

camner 05-18-2005 12:00 PM

The reason I moved "Previous System1" instead of "Previous Systems" is that I was asked for authorization to move "Previous Systems", from which I concluded that OS X didn't really want me to move it, so I moved its contents instead.

dnanian 05-18-2005 12:23 PM

It's just that it's owned by the system. It's created during the archive-and-install, though, and is generally safe to remove if you've determined your install went fine.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.