Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Missing startup drive (http://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1297)

lg.hinz 05-19-2006 11:39 AM

Missing startup drive
 
Dual 1 Ghz PowerPC G4, OS X 10.4.6, SuperDuper V2.1.1
I backed up my startup drive, Mac1, to an external firewire drive, using Extended (Journaled) as a format, I started up from the external drive and everything worked fine. I found it necessary to format my startup drive and restore from the external drive, I formated it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) first and then began the restore from the external using "Backup - all files" everything seemed to go fine, but now when I go into System Preferences to make Mac 1 the startup drive again it is not listed, Mac OS 9.2.2, which I also had on Mac 1 shows up, but not OS X 10.4.6. I repaired the permissions and also ran Disk Warrior to no avail. I hope you can help. Thanks
Larry

dnanian 05-19-2006 11:49 AM

So, you can boot from the backup -- and that works fine -- but once restored it doesn't? That's strange: are you sure you restored with "Backup - all files" and either "Erase, then copy" or "Smart Update", and that your drive was partitioned with APM (Apple Partition Map)?

lg.hinz 05-19-2006 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
So, you can boot from the backup -- and that works fine -- but once restored it doesn't? That's strange: are you sure you restored with "Backup - all files" and either "Erase, then copy" or "Smart Update", and that your drive was partitioned with APM (Apple Partition Map)?

Yes i did use Backup - all files, but I fomated with disk utility I haven't seen the "Erase, then copy" nor the "Smart Update" function do I need to use one of them?

dnanian 05-19-2006 12:03 PM

Please check to see if the drive is partitioned with "APM": that's quite critical to proper booting...

lg.hinz 05-19-2006 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
Please check to see if the drive is partitioned with "APM": that's quite critical to proper booting...

I an not sure what "APM" means, could you explain.

dnanian 05-19-2006 12:25 PM

It means "Apple Partition Map". You select the disk, then the Partition tab. Click Options, and make sure the middle option -- Apple Partition Map -- is selected. Then, partition it appropriately.

lg.hinz 05-19-2006 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
It means "Apple Partition Map". You select the disk, then the Partition tab. Click Options, and make sure the middle option -- Apple Partition Map -- is selected. Then, partition it appropriately.

I checked and the APM was selected, do you think I need to restore again using the "Erase, then copy" or the "Smart Update" function?

dnanian 05-19-2006 12:53 PM

It being selected doesn't necessarily mean that's what's actually on the drive. To check what's on the drive, select the drive itself (not one of its volumes), then click "Info". It should show the partition type in about the middle of the window.

Then, select the volume you've already restored. Near the bottom, does it say "Bootable"?

lg.hinz 05-19-2006 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
It being selected doesn't necessarily mean that's what's actually on the drive. To check what's on the drive, select the drive itself (not one of its volumes), then click "Info". It should show the partition type in about the middle of the window.

Then, select the volume you've already restored. Near the bottom, does it say "Bootable"?

It shows the partion type a "Apple partition shceme" and it does not say bootable

dnanian 05-19-2006 01:03 PM

It does not. That's strange.

OK: please use SuperDuper! to update the existing backup. Make sure you use "Backup - all files" and "Smart Update". Hopefully that'll take care of it: let me know!

lg.hinz 05-19-2006 01:04 PM

correction it does say bootable

dnanian 05-19-2006 01:06 PM

OK. So, it should be bootable, then. If you open the Startup Disk Preference Pane, it doesn't show up?

lg.hinz 05-19-2006 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
OK. So, it should be bootable, then. If you open the Startup Disk Preference Pane, it doesn't show up?

No, it doesn't show up

dnanian 05-19-2006 01:14 PM

OK, then. Let's do the Smart Update and see if that fixes it.

lg.hinz 05-19-2006 01:16 PM

Okay i"ll try it and let you know. thanks for the help.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.