Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Qs & Newbie Tip: Make Spotlight Stop Indexing During Super Duper Backup (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2742)

SuperDuperUser 08-17-2007 11:13 AM

Qs & Newbie Tip: Make Spotlight Stop Indexing During Super Duper Backup

Dang it i hate spotlight. I hope all the find search indexing capabilities are greatly improved in Leopard because it has totally sucked in many ways in Tiger. For instance, why can't I sort the way I want to sort my search results (like I did all the way thru 10.3.9) and no matter if my results are in spotlight or in a 'finder' window (that finder search method totally sucks!).

Anyway, back to the topic at hand:

No matter how many times I have dragged the Target FW drive to the privacy section of spotlight it almost always forgets and starts indexing it meanwhile Super Duper is already going at the same time.

I kept dragging it into the privacy section during this latest round and spotlight/indexing simply would not stop. I was searching here and online for 'how to force quit spotlight' -- with great trepidation because I thought for sure if I did that (even if i figured it out), I would probably totally wreck the SD back up process. (is that true? would that botch things?)

Long story short => Eureka: I finally figured out (remembered?) that to stop spotlight from indexing during a back up that has already started -- i sure hope this is kosher and i'm sure you'll confirm or deny -- anyway, i had to log in to the admin account and drag the target back-up firewire drive to the privacy section of spotlight and it stopped immediately.

I don't keep the backup drive on or connected except during scheduled and manual backups. Spotlight seems to never remember in my user account that it is 'private' so when I back up it starts up, but I am sure I'm not the only one with this issue.

Is there a way to make my mac remember never to index this firewire backup drive?:confused:

If you guys agree this tip is okay to do, then I hope it helps others like me who are either totally forgetful or newbies to this great app (I admit, it took a little getting used to and understanding but now I LOVE it!!!)

And if this tip is a No-No, then please, change the title to NEVER DO THIS and make necessary modifications okay?

thanks! you guys are great!:D

dnanian 08-17-2007 12:21 PM

Hm. So, when you were adding it into Privacy before, you were doing it from an account that didn't have admin privileges?

SuperDuperUser 08-17-2007 01:13 PM

yeah -- i was not having any success in it 'sticking' until i went into the admin account.

i'm the administrator but for every day use i use a restricted user account and that includes SD back ups.

is that the wrong way to do it? Now I can't remember if SD or OS X asked me for the admin authentication or not.

if so, what probs might i encounter? or what should i be aware of in this situation.

also, i will use the target FW HD to then back up onto an internal HD in another mac. so I've got a back up of the back up in case of some catastrophic failure.

anything to be aware of there?

thanks

dnanian 08-17-2007 01:14 PM

I'd try adding into Privacy when logged in as an admin. Might be an issue... and, no, nothing especially hard about target mode: they just have to both be able to run the same version of the OS.