Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cannot find target volume "BACKUP" (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1537)

PeterT 08-14-2006 04:36 AM

Cannot find target volume "BACKUP"

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

When i'm trying to clone my files to a external HD, i get a window message with 'SuperDuper! cannot find target volume "BACKUP".
I'm using two external drives, which i change after a succesful backup.
The two drives are named the same. Probably this is the problem?

The first drive doesn't give this message, only the second.
Or when i first select the second drive for my backup, the second gives this message.

Who knows the answer to this?

With kind regards,

Peter Tollenaar

dnanian 08-14-2006 10:30 AM

This is because we don't use the name of the drive, but rather its low-level ID, and both drives have a different identifier. You can turn off that prompt by unchecking the option in SuperDuper!'s preferences...

PeterT 08-15-2006 03:04 AM

Thanks

I thought about low-level ID...
I never looked at the preferences pane :(
Thanks a lot!

Great product!

Peter

PeterT 08-15-2006 07:36 AM

I unchecked this option in SuperDupers! preferences.
Unfortunately I still get the message 'can't find target volume"BACKUP'
This happen when the schedule starts and with the other device.

What could be wrong?

Peter Tollenaar

dnanian 08-15-2006 09:27 AM

That doesn't necessarily sound wrong, Peter -- if you've got that volume scheduled, that's what it'll do. Perhaps I don't understand.

PeterT 08-16-2006 03:09 AM

Dave,

Thanks for your reply.
My exact question is: 'how can i make a scheduled backup with 2 different external drives?'

When changing the drives, SuperDupers! schedule can't find the new target.
I've tested the schedule with some extra jobs. One after 10 minutes, the next after 20 minutes, following...
After 10 minutes, when SuperDuper! is ready, i changed the drive to another (named the same).
The schedule gives an error 'can't find target volume'.
After that i changed the drive back, waiting for the next schedule.
Of course the next job went well.

I unchecked the preference 'remember source and destination'.

I can make a different schedule for each drive, i can name them different, thats not the point.
Is it possible to make a scheduled backup to 2 different external drives with the same name and schedule?

Greetings,

Peter

dnanian 08-16-2006 08:41 AM

That's an entirely different question, Peter.

As I've said elsewhere on the forums, SuperDuper! keeps track of the volumes not by their name (which can change) but by their low-level identifier (which is unlikely to change). That's why you can't just replace one drive with the other and expect it to work.

This avoids problems when users rename drives (or have two drives named the same). So, by default, this won't work.

However, you can use a tool that we provide to set the UUIDs for the drives you want to rotate the same. They need not be named the same.

To do so, use the little program called SDDiskTool that's inside the SuperDuper bundle. It's in SuperDuper!.app/Contents/MacOS/SDDiskTool. You'd use:

SDDiskTool -g /Volumes/some-disk-name

to get the UUID. Then, to set it, you'd use:

sudo SDDiskTool -s the-UUID /Volumes/some-other-disk-name

So, pick the one you want to be the original, and set all the other UUIDs to be the same. Then, no matter which one you have attached, we'll write to it.

PeterT 09-26-2006 09:49 AM

Great!
Thanks.

Peter

jbezdek 01-16-2007 05:11 AM

Not working in my case

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 8094)
However, you can use a tool that we provide to set the UUIDs for the drives you want to rotate the same. They need not be named the same....To do so, use the little program called SDDiskTool that's inside the SuperDuper bundle....So, pick the one you want to be the original, and set all the other UUIDs to be the same. Then, no matter which one you have attached, we'll write to it.

Hi Dave. I just got around to trying this. (I'd bookmarked it some time ago.) Unfortunately, it isn't working for me as described and I hope you can tell me what I might be doing wrong.

Here's are the steps I took. I recently received 3 new 250GB hard drives, all of which I intend to use in a swappable SATA enclosure from WiebeTech.

Two Sundays ago, I initialized the first drive and named it "Andy Backup." (Fans of The Andy Griffith Show will recognize my naming scheme in a moment.) I then ran the SDDiskTool as you described to get the UUID and wrote it down for future reference. I set up a recurring schedule to do a smart copy to "Andy Backup" each night.

Then, this past Sunday, I initialized the second drive and named it "Barney Backup." I used the SDDiskTool application to set the UUID of Barney Backup to the UUID of Andy Backup and confirmed that the UUID was changed. The two drives have identical UUIDs. I swapped the Barney Backup drive into the enclosure and went to bed, expecting the recurring smart copy to occur normally, even though it was set up to run on Andy Backup.

However, when I woke up this morning, the schedule did not run because the application couldn't find the disk "Andy Backup." Shouldn't the identical UUIDs prevent this error from happening?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers.
Joe

dnanian 01-16-2007 08:22 AM

It certainly should have -- but it sounds like either the UUIDs aren't the same (or the schedule wasn't created with this UUID), or the drive really wasn't available (if you're auto mounting/unmounting, the drive won't be mounted unless it has the same name).

jbezdek 01-16-2007 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 10388)
...if you're auto mounting/unmounting, the drive won't be mounted unless it has the same name.

That's it! I'm auto-mounting/unmounting.

So if I have two discs with the same name but different UUIDs, will they auto-mount/unmount correctly as part of a scheduled backup? Or do I need both the UUIDs and the names to be identical?

Cheers.
Joe

dnanian 01-16-2007 05:30 PM

The UUID and name must be identical (and only one should be attached, of course).

jbezdek 01-16-2007 06:04 PM

Thanks, Dave.

So just to summarize (and confirm what I think is my correct understanding of the matter): if you're not doing auto-mount and unmount with the scheduled backup, you can rotate several drives with identical UUIDs but different names and SuperDuper! will write to whichever is attached. However, if you are doing auto-mount and unmount, the names must also be identical. Is that correct?

If so, any chance this can be simplified in a future version by not requiring identical names for auto-mount/unmount?

(My assumption is you already have a longer-term option on your enhancement request list: a more robust scheduling UI that better enables multi-drive rotations.)

Thanks for the support and thanks for the great product.

dnanian 01-16-2007 06:08 PM

That's correct.

Simplifying rotation is something we're considering...