Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Trying to create an ASR image... (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812)

djhagerman 11-18-2005 03:50 PM

Trying to create an ASR image...

Hi, I am trying to create an ASR image that I can use to restore several labs. I may be mistaken in the use of SuperDuper! but I thought that under the "Options" button, one of the check boxes for "after copy" is to "Create a disk image of..." would result in an .dmg file that I could us the restore option under Apple's Disk Utility to restore another Mac... I have tried to use this .dmg file to restore another machine, but it will not work.

Any advice in this matter as to how I have gone wrong would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

dnanian 11-18-2005 03:51 PM

The way to do this is to use the "Disk Image..." choice in the destination pop-up. "Disk Image..." in Options creates a disk image that will only work if the machines are the same, whereas the one in the destination pop-up is disk size/layout independent.

djhagerman 11-18-2005 03:59 PM

I see, I was hoping to be able to use Apple's Disk Utility to perform the restore.

dnanian 11-18-2005 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djhagerman
I see, I was hoping to be able to use Apple's Disk Utility to perform the restore.

You can, actually. That generates a DMG too.

djhagerman 11-18-2005 04:38 PM

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing :) but I figured it out. I can now use the .dmg file created by SuperDuper! WITH Apple's Disk Utility. I have always been able to create an .dmg with Apple's Disk Utility and then use it to restore other Macs, but had problems using the .dmg created with SuperDuper! and then using Apple's Disk Utility to do the restore. Took a little trial and error but it works especailly well now. Thanks for your fast replies.

dnanian 11-18-2005 05:21 PM

I think we were, but my "dangling that" probably confused the situation. I meant that the "Disk Image..." choice in the destination pop-up also generates an image appropriate for use with ASR/Disk Utility.

In any case, glad you got it going.

camner 11-21-2005 08:20 PM

A followup question to make sure I understand...

1. If I select a "normal" copy (not to an image) but check the "make image after copying" option, I get an image that will restore to the same machine it was created on, but NOT to another machine.

2. If I want an image that will restore to another machine (such as the one I received in exchange for the 3rd major repair on my iBook :mad: ), then I select "image" from the destination drop down menu.

Do I have this correct?

dnanian 11-21-2005 08:36 PM

Mostly, yes. The "Make image after copying" is disk layout specific: that is, it'll restore to a 30GB drive, or whatever the source is, directly.

However, if mounted, it can be copied file-by-file to any drive. You just can't use the image directly -- you need to use the volume produced when you mount the image.

camner 11-21-2005 09:35 PM

So, if I want to make an "emergency restore" image, I would do so via the drop down menu. I would then be able to use ASR, Disk Utility, or SD! to do the restore, correct? Presumably I would be able to do so by booting off of an external FireWire drive (containing the "emergency restore" image) and then use one of these tools?

dnanian 11-21-2005 09:45 PM

In general, you don't need to make an image if you're already creating a bootable backup. Because you can just restore the backup itself!

An image is more when you need to store things side-by-side with other data, or on a network drive.

camner 11-21-2005 11:16 PM

Here's my thinking...

Recently, I had a hard drive beginning to fail (S.M.A.R.T. reporter said "this disk is about to fail") and before the drive failed entirely I wanted to make a bootable backup so I could restore my system if the drive needed to be replaced. Unfortunately, the backup did not complete successfully...it bombed on a particular file...presumably a sector that was failing. And then, yes, the drive needed to be replaced. And, I no longer had a reliable backup from which to restore. So, what I thought might make sense was this: after rebuilding a system (or doing a major system upgrade), I would create an image that could be used in a similar emergency, while also making periodic "normal" backups. That way, I wouldn't end up in the same position.

Does that make sense, or is there a better strategy?

dnanian 11-21-2005 11:18 PM

Well, where are you creating that image? It sounds more like you should make two backups, or -- even better -- rotate two (or more) backups, as described in my blog post (The Ninety-Nine-Per-Cent Solution)...