Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Itunes library cannot be read.... (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3292)

kswaty 12-11-2007 10:48 AM

Itunes library cannot be read....

Since updating my sandbox (on a Power PC and an intel imac) to 10.4.11, I keep getting this message when I try to open itunes. Unfortunately, I copied back over the update on the Powermac (because I had other issues). When I went back to my 10.4.9 version, I get the same thing.

On the intel imac, I can use itunes in the sandbox, but not when I boot back to 10.4.8 - there I get the same message.

I suspect this is a superduper issue, (although it has not happened before) because I updated the Sandbox on both machines the same day, and they are both having the same problem starting at the same time.

dnanian 12-11-2007 10:55 AM

No, the Sandbox shares the files with the source, so the source has the problem. Sounds like your iTunes library might be corrupt and/or damaged.

kswaty 12-11-2007 11:06 AM

Thank you for your quick reply Dave. What you said makes sense, of cours. I am also addressing this issue in the Apple discussion forums, but I think it's strange that this is happening at the same exact time, both machines having the same problem the first time I try to use itunes on the main Hd, after updating Sandbox.

dnanian 12-11-2007 11:10 AM

But a Sandbox doesn't touch these files, and even a full backup simply reads them...

kswaty 12-11-2007 11:23 AM

Could I add albums to my library in Sandbox, so I can use itunes...and, if I do that, what will happen when I decide to copy Sandbox back to my main HD?

Will it be a problem to copy the album list in this way?

dnanian 12-11-2007 11:28 AM

Again, a Sandbox -- if it's a Sandbox (made with the Sandbox scripts) uses the same copy of iTunes as your regular volume. So, whatever you're doing in Sandbox uses the same files.

kswaty 12-11-2007 11:35 AM

My Sandbox was made with Sandbox scripts - I do everything very meticulously, following the manual exactly. I know that the itunes app is not in Sandbox, but so far I can get itunes to open in Sandbox, but it won't even open on main HD. So I just want to use it until I can solve the other problem.

Thanks again for your great support...

dnanian 12-11-2007 12:03 PM

As long as you can open your data, that's fine -- the data's the same on both, because your user files are shared.

kswaty 12-11-2007 12:13 PM

I am just reading that Apple applications are copied in full to sandbox - so I guess that is why itunes will open in sandbox and not on orig HD. So I am going to go ahead and add albums to it - will my albums get copied when I copy sandbox back to HD or will I have to add them again...thank you so much

dnanian 12-11-2007 12:24 PM

Your application is not your data -- it's just the application. Deleting the iTunes application doesn't change your data. Similarly, using a different iTunes doesn't change the fact that it's data is stored in your Home folder...

kswaty 12-11-2007 12:27 PM

I'm sorry - I forgot to say that this is the first data that I will be adding on this machine - so if I add it in sandbox - I guess that makes it accessible from HD, if I ever get that fixed - correct?

dnanian 12-11-2007 12:48 PM

Yes. The data is stored in your Home folder. That means it's on your main drive. It's not really on the Sandbox, since the Home folder is shared.