Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Yet another FileVault Question (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1405)

rdlsmith 07-04-2006 12:02 PM

Wow

Didn't mean to start a cat fight.

I just want to secure the data being backed up. Sparse images allow for a password, it's encrypted, what's the problem? If someone walks with my data, if they don't know the password or have the government manual on how to get around Apple's encryption, they can't get to my data no?

If you're using a firmware password and lock your system you should have your bases covered. Maybe not 'as secure' as with File Vault but then again, isn't there a huge risk to using FV? It sounds like new technology that could corrupt everything. I don't know, that's just the feeling I get from what I've read so far. Maybe it was stuff I read out here. Take it with a grain of salt.

In any case, sparse images seem to work well for me. I setup another account and couldn't get to files. FV may be a good solution too but only if you can actually get to your files when needed.

dnanian 07-04-2006 01:35 PM

Honestly, I'm not trying to fight: I'm just trying to provide what additional information I can. Firmware password is fine, but it locks the machine, not the drive. So, if you extract the drive, the files are available.

In general, I don't think FileVault is worth the risks. Sensitive items I encrypt separately: I don't really care if a thief has access to my iTunes music, programs I've downloaded, etc. :)

johare 07-15-2006 11:24 AM

Pgp

I'm a recent convert from windows and on that side I used PGP Whole disk Encryption with terrific results. Upon booting, you have to enter a passphrase into the PGP application before you can go any further. it then boots and runs normaly. In addition to work stuff, I played games such as Half Life 2 & Far Cry with no performance problems. Apparently PGP will be offering this solution for OSX soon if not already. I think the benefit of this aproach over file vault is that ALL files are ALWAYS encrypted and you probably won't have the File Vault maintenence on shutdown like you do now. PGP also lets you create virtual encrypted drives - may be similar to Disk utility's encrypted Disk image. Might be worth looking into.

hukalaki 07-16-2006 11:29 AM

FileVault problematic

I need to have some kind of security for some of my data and would prefer to be able to encrypt my Mail folder, which Knox cannot do and have it behave properly.

FileVault seemed like the only thing that would safely encrypt my user folder. I had heard about problems but was willing to give it a try anyway. After Dave's advice re logging out of my user account and then backing up, my backups worked fine, although not automated at all--a definite downside.

More importantly, however, I did develop issues with FileVault itself. First I had a wierd problem with Safari not being able to download files when it could download in other user accounts without a problem. Then I began to be unable to properly save in Word--I'd get a filename/path error, which I never had before. So I figured things were getting buggy.

I tried turning off FileVault from the Security pref pane, but it gave me an error "error making copy--unable to decrypt FileVault."

So this gave me the willies. From my admin account I pulled all my user files out of FileVault, transferred them into a new user account, deleted the old user account and re set my ownership and permissions. So I am now back to square one.

My experience supports the common comment that FileVault has problems. I can't recommend using it and would appreciate any alternatives.

bdahm 11-25-2006 04:37 AM

Is a Bootable File Vault File A Contradiction?

After reading through this entire thread my head is spinning. I have two goals for my backup and based on what I have been reading they may be contradictory. If not, please enlighten me.

First and foremost, I want to protect against a catastrophic hard disk failure on my iBook. Along with this go lesser emergencies when I might want to restore the system to a previous state.

Secondly, since I am backing up to an external firewire hard drive, I would like to know that that data is secure should that hard drive itself by stolen.

One question that comes to mind is whether a File Vault file stored as a sparse image is bootable? I get a sense that it isn't. Right now I am not using File Vault, but was considering doing so. The other issue is my understanding that a smart backup of File Vault will take some time because the entire sparse image file will have to be backed up even if only few files have been changed since the last backup.

Please feel free to comment on these issues.

-Bill

dnanian 11-25-2006 09:07 AM

FileVault only secures your Home folder. As long as the backup itself is bootable ("Backup - all files" using Erase, then copy or Smart update to a supported FireWire drive [or USB on Intel]), FileVault doesn't have much effect.

However, please note that FileVault makes it much harder to restore individual files from a backup. It also means that you shouldn't back up while logged into the FileVault account, and that every backup will copy your entire Home folder, because the whole thing is actually stored in one big file...