Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   System frozen after SD puts it to sleep... (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1613)

nullibist 09-12-2006 03:46 AM

System frozen after SD puts it to sleep...

Hi, used SD for the 1st time last night, i successfully backed up with the trial version earlier in the day then after getting the full version i set it to go again when i went to bed (backing up onto an ext. Lacie USB2 drive), got up today and it had completed all the operations, including putting the system to sleep afterwards, but SD itself then refused to close when i clicked on OK, and all other programs i opened seemed to seize up and had to be forced to quit, and even then some wouldnt do so, and finally the whole screen just went blank (! :/ ) Anyway, i suspect everything is fine, except maybe i should omit the option to put the system to sleep next time, since the Intel mini will do that itself anyway ... ?

Thx

Danny

dnanian 09-12-2006 10:07 AM

Hi, Danny. We just ask the system to put itself to sleep (we use a simple AppleScript command

Code:

tell application "System Events" to sleep
so I don't think it's the sleep that caused a problem. Rather, I think something else might have failed. Are you running any AntiVirus or similar? Anything else on USB that might have issues?

nullibist 09-12-2006 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 8410)
Hi, Danny. We just ask the system to put itself to sleep (we use a simple AppleScript command

Code:

tell application "System Events" to sleep
so I don't think it's the sleep that caused a problem. Rather, I think something else might have failed. Are you running any AntiVirus or similar? Anything else on USB that might have issues?

No a/v. Do you mean anything else on the USB bus that might have issues? If so, nothing that's changed anyway, a k/b, mouse and the drive. If you mean any other data on the drive, no its one empty partition 80G, equivalent to the Mini's drive. I've had this mini for a month or so and this is the only time this has happened so something weird happened for sure, i'll try again tonite. Anyway, i assume that the actual copy process must have completed because all the items were ticked as done.

dnanian 09-12-2006 12:20 PM

It certainly sounds like it was done, yes. But something on the system started to have trouble, likely because of the extensive I/O, which is why I asked about AntiVirus. You might want to give it another try to see if it happens again.

(I'd also add the backup drive to the Spotlight Preference Pane's "Privacy" tab to prevent it from being indexed by Spotlight.)

nullibist 09-12-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 8415)
It certainly sounds like it was done, yes. But something on the system started to have trouble, likely because of the extensive I/O, which is why I asked about AntiVirus. You might want to give it another try to see if it happens again.

(I'd also add the backup drive to the Spotlight Preference Pane's "Privacy" tab to prevent it from being indexed by Spotlight.)

Ok done (adding it to the Privacy list). I noticed that the copying process last night included references to restoring Spotlight state or something to that effect on the Lacie drive.

dnanian 09-12-2006 04:58 PM

Right -- we preserve the Privacy state...

nullibist 09-13-2006 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 8418)
Right -- we preserve the Privacy state...

Went smoothly this time, SD completed all the steps, put the system to sleep and i just clicked ok and SD went away and the system is fine :)

dnanian 09-13-2006 11:21 AM

Great -- glad to hear it! :)