Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   MBP out for service; booting spare computer from SD FW disk (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4322)

dezinnia 07-20-2008 12:22 AM

MBP out for service; booting spare computer from SD FW disk

One of our MBPs is with Apple for some repairs... it'll probably be out until the end of the week. To continue using it, we did a copy of the HD before bringing it in, so we have the most recent image...

So I'm using one of our G4s as the slave CPU, and booted the MBP's image from the LaCie FW drive...

Works great. (Both are running Leopard.)

Now, when we get the MBP back, what's the procedure to get the computer's drive to synch up with the LaCie's image?

Would this be the same as a Restore? Using Disk Utility, and restore from the LaCie Drive? I suppose we could just copy over the modified files, but there might be quite a few directories that would change over the course of the next week.

What's the best method?

Thanks!

dnanian 07-20-2008 09:01 AM

Start up from the backup on the MBP and use "Backup - all files" to copy from the backup back to the internal using Smart Update. Should work fine.

bill from maine 07-24-2008 12:22 PM

Dave, is there a problem here?

Dave,

If the backup drive is setup with a GUID partition, correct me if I'm wrong, it won't boot a G4 (with a PowerPC processor).

On the other hand, if the backup drive is setup with an Apple partition map, it won't boot the Macbook Pro.

Do I have that all right?
if so, I don't think his backup drive will boot the macbook pro....

dnanian 07-24-2008 12:29 PM

A GUID partition will not start up a Power PC Mac, correct (under Leopard, purely because GUID isn't supported by Open Firmware). But an Intel Mac *can* start up from an APM partition, even though it's discouraged, by Option+booting.

dezinnia 07-24-2008 11:22 PM

OK... so we have the computer back, and I was just going to do the copyover... are these new posts cause for concern?

I should option-boot the MBP and select the Firewire Disk (which has the most current version of the drive), right? And then do the smart update from the FireWire to the MBP's hard drive.

But why is booting from that drive "not encouraged"? I just want to make sure I do this the right way and not screw anything up (or lose anything, etc...)

The FireWire drive isn't partitioned beyond the single partition it started with.

Now, when she was at our office, she booted the firewire drive using the G4 PowerPC tower. When she was at home, she did the same using our Mac Mini. Have we created issues going back and forth between the different computers? (She never had an issue with booting either computer with the firewire... all seemed to work great.)

dnanian 07-25-2008 07:34 AM

That's right, Option+Boot, select the FireWire disk and restore as explained before.

As far as "why" is GUID encouraged and APM discouraged... GUID is more modern, support BootCamp, partition resizing, etc. No doubt there are other reasons, but I've never seen a complete list.