Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Multiple Drives, Multiple Schedules (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5831)

Nick 10-08-2009 04:46 PM

Multiple Drives, Multiple Schedules

I'll be reinstalling SuperDuper! shortly. After I'm done, I'll be setting up the same backup schedule I had previously: Automatic daily back up of my entire internal drive to an external drive reserved for my SD! clone.

In addition, I'd like to begin to back up my Home folder and Applications folder to another, smaller external drive. Can I create a second schedule to do that automatically? (It seems like I should be able to do that in a straightforward manner; but I don't recall seeing any mention of configuring SD! to provide multiple backups on multiple schedules to multiple drives.)

diamondsw 10-08-2009 05:19 PM

Yes, you can absolutely do that - I have several backup schedules set up on my computer, and like yours, two are for different sections of the same drive.

Nick 10-08-2009 11:01 PM

Thanks for the hands-on feedback, diamondsw. I hope to have it set up and running shortly—though I'll probably hold off on running any clone backups to my SD! drive for a while, until I'm satisfied that my newly nuked-'n'-paved internal drive is running right, and there's nothing on my SD! drive that I still need.

Nick 11-10-2009 10:05 PM

Well, I'm finally ready to do it...but having re-read the beginning of the User's Guide, I'm not quite sure how to go about it: I simply want to create a second schedule that backs up my Home folder and my Applications folder, and leaves everything else (including a folder containing some very old documents not on my internal drive) on that second external drive intact.

Suggestions?

dnanian 11-10-2009 10:35 PM

You're trying to copy these files to a volume/partition that already has files on it? Not wise, in general... selecting a few folders to copy isn't difficult, but trying to put them on a volume with other stuff, in a useful way, isn't really doable without using Copy Newer or Copy Different, which may make things harder to restore.

Nick 11-11-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27926)
You're trying to copy these files to a volume/partition that already has files on it? Not wise, in general... selecting a few folders to copy isn't difficult, but trying to put them on a volume with other stuff, in a useful way, isn't really doable without using Copy Newer or Copy Different, which may make things harder to restore.

What would you suggest? I'm really just looking for another, last-resort "fall back" backup option: In case everything else (i.e., internal, SD! and TM drives) crapped out, at least I'd have my more-important files.

dnanian 11-11-2009 03:44 PM

Well, you can use an image, and write into that... you'll need to write a copy script to exclude all files (include "Exclude all files") and then select the files/folders you want to copy.