Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Notifications (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7146)

greengrass 09-26-2018 12:50 PM

Notifications

Using SD 3.2, I received a notification on a regularly scheduled clone operation (Thanks for adding apple notifications.) but did not receive a notification when I did an ad hoc clone. Is that how notifications are supposed to work or is there a bug in the implementation? Both clone operations were successful.

dnanian 09-26-2018 02:49 PM

Yes. Native notifications are currently only for scheduled copies. (Notifications, in general, are suppressed when the application is current.)

You can expand notifications by installing Growl, which is still supported.

rwross 11-03-2018 10:39 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks as always for great software. I also like reading the nuts and bolts on your blog. FWIW, I completely agree with your UI philosophy.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with notifications. SD is the last app that required Growl to send notifications and Growl hasn't, well, growled consistently for about a year. It crashes, sometimes it doesn't fire notifications, etc. It's even been pulled from the App store...that's all on them and obviously not for you to fix.

My problem is that SD has not registered with MacOS 10.14's Notifications. Meaning, if I go to notification center, there is a string of apps there, but no SuperDuper!

Right now, I'm relegated to remembering that SD is scheduled for its weekly backup, launching it, then checking logs for the scheduled backup to confirm it completed.

Ug..right?

Do you have any suggestions?

dnanian 11-03-2018 10:44 AM

SuperDuper won't "register" for notifications until it has notified. So you have to quit Growl to get us to notify. We definitely do notify with the notifications center as long as Growl isn't running: I've had no other reports of it not working, so I'm not sure why that would be...

I've tested Growl and haven't had any problem under Mojave or High Sierra. My guess as to why it's been removed from the App Store is that it's available for free outside it. You can go to http://www.growl.info to download the most recent version. And you can contact them for support...

rwross 11-03-2018 10:50 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!!

Hmmm...ok, so what would be the best way to get SD to "notify and register."

Should I create a one-time scheduled event or would just running an additional backup do the job?

As for growl, I could only find the old version on their site with a pointer to a dead AppStore link for the Mavericks+ version. :-(

Again, Growl stuff not your problem...it's enough that your software works :-)

dnanian 11-03-2018 10:51 AM

If you simply run a schedule it'll notify and register. If you cancel it when the countdown sheet comes down it'll notify on that, too.

rwross 11-03-2018 10:53 AM

One additional data point. I just checked my work MacBook Pro and have never loaded Growl on that machine.

SuperDuper! isn't listed as an App in that Notification center either. Now, I've never run a timed schedule on it either. However, it does have an "external drive plugged in" triggered event.

dnanian 11-03-2018 10:54 AM

Either of those will notify with the notification center... what OS version are you running?

rwross 11-03-2018 11:00 AM

I just followed your instruction and forced a scheduled copy then canceled.

The notification fired and SD! is now registered.

I'm running 10.14.1 but, to be clear, it SD! never registered under 10.13.x either.

On the iMac I understand that is likely because I had Growl installed, but on the MacBook, I'm not sure why.

Does SD! fire a notification when the copy is successful or just upon fail? If the latter that could explain why SD! never registered on my MacBook--because it never had a failed backup.

That said, my guess is you have SD! set to fire on both Successful and Failed Backups, correct? If this is the case, I'm at a loss for why it wouldn't have registered before?

dnanian 11-03-2018 11:03 AM

A notification happens on success and failure...

rwross 11-03-2018 11:03 AM

Apologies...in my last post my brain had shifted into "diagnostic" mode and I neglected to express my appreciation for such swift attention and resolution to my issue.

Thanks Dave!!!