Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Partition Naming Issues (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646)

mcthomas 08-31-2005 09:16 AM

Partition Naming Issues

Dave

I have resolved in my mind why the full backup should be named for the original HD, e.g. Macintosh HD as you point out in the manual. Similarly why the user backup should be named for the home directory short name particularly when a single user is involved.

What remains an open question is how the alias's from MacIntosh HD will track to the safety clone which for possibly only editorial purposes you have named Sandbox.

Or is Sandbox a unique capability of Super Duper or naming peculiarity that does not need attention to the identical name issues. In other words can the partition reserved for the safety clone be named anything without jeapordizing the safety clone's functionality? Or is it best if it is in fact named Sandbox.

More and more comments in the discussion groups are complimenting you on your outstanding product and noting your patient support - rightfully so.

Mcthomas

dnanian 08-31-2005 09:35 AM

Hi, mcthomas.

A non-bootable backup doesn't have to have any special name associated with it, because the issue with Aliases only really applies when you're going to try to boot from the volume.

If you're restoring from a non-bootable backup, you're going to copy the files back to the original volume, which will have the original name. As such, the alias will resolve as expected.

Regarding the Sandbox, since we want things to reference the original volume -- which remains available -- there's no need to name it unusually. Sandbox is what I've chosen based on history more than anything else... it's as good a name as any! Don't name it the same as the original, though, because that'd be confusing... and, since all the content isn't really "there" (the shared files are on the original volume), it could potentially cause problems.

zhangtrinity 08-31-2005 10:05 AM

Hi, Dave

Here is my confusion. When u say "a non-bootable backup", how about a buckup make with the "Disk Image" which is in the same hard drive but different partition? For such a backup, when I restoring from it, the alias appeared again. That's my own experience. Terrible...

zhangtrinity 08-31-2005 10:06 AM

Hi, Dave

Here is my confusion. When u say "a non-bootable backup", how about a buckup make with the "Disk Image" which is in the same hard drive but different partition? For such a backup, when I restoring from it, the alias appeared again. That's my own experience. Terrible... :eek:

mcthomas 08-31-2005 10:07 AM

Partition Naming Issues

Dave

Isn't the safety clone or Sandbox a bootable volume? I understand that it is not for restoration purposes but instead as a substitute hard drive and way to keep the original hard drive uncontaminated from updates etc.

To me bootable implies the ability to start and stop it by reassigning the startup volume. Is this not so? Perhaps i need to re read the manual.

Mcthomas

dnanian 08-31-2005 10:12 AM

Again, that alias appearing is just the Finder showing a file that's normally hidden. It won't hurt you in any way -- in fact, it's necessary!

If you want to see *all* the files on your drive, you can use Terminal... the command:

ls -a /

will show what's really at the top of your boot drive. Just don't delete anything!

dnanian 08-31-2005 10:13 AM

Yes, the Sandbox is a bootable volume, but doesn't stand on its own: it needs the original volume, which holds the user information and many applications.

And, you absolutely can start from it: that's the main use for the Sandbox! But, because it's special, it shouldn't be named the same as the original.

zhangtrinity 08-31-2005 12:06 PM

Dave,

As you said, if the alias are there and just hidden by the system. When I open the Terminal windows, what exactly should I type in, please give me the detail. In this way, I can find the alias files' name to report to you.

dnanian 08-31-2005 12:08 PM

The problem is that the command I provided will only list all the files, not the ones that aren't being hidden. You can only tell what's not being hidden by looking at them in the Finder.

The Terminal window will only prove to you that those "disastrous" files are always there... you can take my word for it instead! :)

zhangtrinity 08-31-2005 12:27 PM

I got it. So I'll stay in this thread. And then seems to me the only way to get the appearing alias name is to repeat the backup & restore process again. Do you have other options? cause it's rather painful and scary.Cheers!

dnanian 08-31-2005 12:46 PM

Well, instead -- why don't you wait until you have to do this again, David. At that point, we'll help you re-hide the files. But, no need to do it just to reproduce the situation.

You didn't answer the question about 10.4.2, though: were you running under 10.4.2 for both the backup and restore?

zhangtrinity 08-31-2005 01:20 PM

Fair enough.I do run 10.4.2. So next time I'll try to do all the same thing again. Thanks for the help any way.

David

dnanian 08-31-2005 05:45 PM

I definitely think that's the best approach, David. We'll be here for you when you're ready.