Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Western Digital My Book drives and SuperDuper (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2791)

dnanian 08-31-2007 07:34 PM

Having it spin down shouldn't be a problem. It should just spin up again when accessed. If it's visible on the desktop, it's mounted.

hdtvluvr 08-31-2007 07:50 PM

So SD will wake the drive?

dnanian 08-31-2007 08:07 PM

As I've said, it certainly should -- drives spin down all the time, and the OS wakes them when they're accessed.

hadleyhope 09-03-2007 06:35 AM

Sorry for the delay, I just wanted to make sure a couple of scheduled backups had run.

SuperDuper woke up the My Book drive just fine, I had set the energy perfs to wake the machine 15 minutes before SuperDuper was due to run so that any open apps had settled down, i.e. Mail and news reader had finished a refresh.

The only niggle I have is that it is not simple to see that the scheduled operation is successfull (though there is a quick Growl notification). The log only details interactive operations.

Martin

matt! 09-03-2007 08:05 AM

If you're using a WD MyBook it will work fine.

I use one as you want to and it's all cool

matt

chris_johnsen 09-03-2007 10:12 AM

In the Growl preference pane, you should be able to configure messages from SD to be "sticky", so that they do not automatically disappear.

hdtvluvr 09-03-2007 10:30 AM

Thanks for everyone's reply. I'll purchase it this week and get the scheduled backups started this week.

hadleyhope 09-03-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_johnsen (Post 13879)
In the Growl preference pane, you should be able to configure messages from SD to be "sticky", so that they do not automatically disappear.

OK, I did not know that Growl did sticky messages per application/message category. It is a bit confusing though to open SD, view the log and not see details about the last "operation" (if that operation is scheduled).

dnanian 09-03-2007 10:54 AM

Well, you will see the scheduled operation if you access the log from the scheduled copies window -- that way, if you have three copies scheduled, you can review all of them.

hadleyhope 09-04-2007 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 13884)
Well, you will see the scheduled operation if you access the log from the scheduled copies window -- that way, if you have three copies scheduled, you can review all of them.

Yes, but you have to click the Schedule... button to get to that window, and the first thing that appears is a drop down sheet as though you are setting a new schedule, which if you just want to see the log's you have to cancel.

It would be nice from the main window to have a menu option to view any logs.

Anyway, I have set a sticky Growl notification for failed scheduled copies which is good enough for me.

Thanks

dnanian 09-04-2007 04:25 PM

Actually, no, you don't -- you can choose Window > Scheduled Copies to get there, and if you leave the window open, we restore it when you exit and resume...

hadleyhope 09-05-2007 04:05 AM

Many thanks.

hdtvluvr 09-08-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris_johnsen (Post 13879)

OK where is the Growl preference pane?

chris_johnsen 09-08-2007 11:33 AM

On my system, the Growl preference pane is under Other in the main System Preferences application (Apple menu). It has several anchors (tabs).

Growl Preferences screen shots and documentation

The Applications tab should have a list of applications, including at least SuperDuper!. When you click on SuperDuper!, the list at the bottom should show a list of notifications that SuperDuper! might send: Scheduled Copy Succeeded, Copy Succeeded, Scheduled Copy Failed, Copy Failed. When the check box in the Sticky column shows a check, that type of notification will always be sticky. When it is unchecked, that notification will never be sticky. When it shows a dash/minus, it will be sticky only if the application requests stickyness.

hdtvluvr 09-08-2007 04:39 PM

OK, now I figured out that Growl is an application that needed to be downloaded and installed. I got the latest version (1.1). Your documentation was for 0.7.4 and the app has changed a lot. I think I have it set up properly. Will know tomorrow morning.

Thanks