Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Backing Up to Multiple Volumes? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296)

batchannel 04-20-2005 10:31 PM

Backing Up to Multiple Volumes?

is it possible to start a backup to one volume, and if that volume fills up, have SD switch to another volume to continue the backup of the remaining files?

dnanian 04-20-2005 10:33 PM

No, I'm sorry: SuperDuper! does not span volumes.

batchannel 04-21-2005 09:12 PM

Any chance it will be in an upcoming release? Could a script be written to accomplish that?

dnanian 04-21-2005 09:35 PM

We don't plan to add this in the near future, but that doesn't mean it'll never be added. But it's not a frequent request, so it's not at a high priority.

You could "manually" span disks with a copy script, sure. Basically, one script could select one part of the volume, and another could select the rest. That's definitely something you could do.

batchannel 04-22-2005 03:31 PM

Well, in reading the recent MacInTouch report on Backup software, it was noted that only Retrospect can back up to CD/DVD. Spanning to multiple volumes could give your program a significant advantage, in that DVD-sized disc images could be used for backup on the backup hard drive, and then burned to disc for off-site archiving as needed. I'm surprised more users aren't asking for this. It's the only reason the printing company I work for hasn't switched away from the horrid Retrospect.

dnanian 04-22-2005 03:47 PM

Actually, that's not true. The folks at Babel Company have a program called Impression that will write to CDs.

We do realize that we could expand our market somewhat by writing to CDs or DVDs, but at present we're trying to concentrate on providing best solution for drive-to-drive backups and copying. When we've accomplished what we've set out to do, we might extend into other areas, as long as it doesn't compromise usability or make the program too complex. We'll have to see!

camd 09-30-2005 02:55 PM

I was just recommended Superduper and the sole reason I will not be purchasing it is due to it's inability to span multiple DVDs. This seems like a basic function of backup software, and hopefully it can be added soon. Otherwise, your software seems to be highly recommended.

dnanian 09-30-2005 03:41 PM

DVD support, I'm sorry to say, is not something we're planning to add. In general, external hard disks are much, much easier to work with, faster, and much easier to restore from (since you can boot from the backup). They're also VERY economical: you can get a 100GB firewire drive for $100 or less.

There are a number of alternative solutions available for DVD backup, though, should that be a requirement of yours -- I'm sure you'll find one that you like.