Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Cannot Run Ms Office 2004 Apps from Sandbox (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205)

dnanian 03-01-2005 03:15 PM

No problem... I'm trying to figure this out too. Try deleting the "Office Font Cache" in your Preferences, see if that makes a difference.

dnanian 03-02-2005 07:48 AM

(To close off this thread, we moved to email and after some back-and-forth it turned out that this particular crash was entirely different than the font-related one. In this case, a bad alias in the Office preferences was causing the problem. Resetting those prefs resolved the problem.)

bweylock 03-02-2005 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
(To close off this thread, we moved to email and after some back-and-forth it turned out that this particular crash was entirely different than the font-related one. In this case, a bad alias in the Office preferences was causing the problem. Resetting those prefs resolved the problem.)

And to risk beating the thread to death... Want to add thanks for the really terrific level of attention and concern. We had some miscommunication because I didn't make it clear enough that the symptoms turned out to be different, but anyone who buys one of your programs is lucky in many ways. Thanks again!

Best,

- Bill

TPinho 03-07-2005 05:11 PM

Okay, so maybe it's totally out of line for me to butt in, and post to a closed thread--- I profusely apologize for my rudeness--- but I'm totally at my wits end, and a google search for the console message that is currently the bane of my existence pointed me to this page...
Please, oh please, Gods of the Mac world take pity on this little graphics geek and kindly point me to the aliases that were in error here... I'm getting the identical messages--- and am totally at a loss--- Luckily, all my office works, except if it has to access the finder in any way shape or form (then the console shows me it's having trouble, </System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/liberty.framework> (not loaded), big fun...
I promise to build a small shrine replete with SpongeBob Pez dispenser and a neon orange windup lobster (with clackity claw action!)
Thanks so much!
*PC geek ever-so-humbled by OSX...*

-Thom.

bweylock 03-07-2005 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPinho
Okay, so maybe it's totally out of line for me to butt in, and post to a closed thread--- I profusely apologize for my rudeness--- but I'm totally at my wits end, and a google search for the console message that is currently the bane of my existence pointed me to this page...
Please, oh please, Gods of the Mac world take pity on this little graphics geek and kindly point me to the aliases that were in error here... I'm getting the identical messages--- and am totally at a loss--- Luckily, all my office works, except if it has to access the finder in any way shape or form (then the console shows me it's having trouble, </System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/liberty.framework> (not loaded), big fun...
I promise to build a small shrine replete with SpongeBob Pez dispenser and a neon orange windup lobster (with clackity claw action!)
Thanks so much!
*PC geek ever-so-humbled by OSX...*

-Thom.

It's not a dumb question or inappropriate at all. Guess that's not totally up to me to say, but I can't see disagreement.

The actual process isn't clear.

Dave had me go into ~/Library/Preferences and rename the Microsoft folder to Microsoft.saved.

Then log out and back in... see what happens.

If you're getting the Database Daemon alert that I was, you just need to remove all copies of Database Daemon in your Login items (under Account preferences).

Hope this helps. I think it will.

Best,

- Bill

dnanian 03-07-2005 07:25 PM

Just rename your Office preferences, Thom, and see if it helps. You'll find the responsible folder off your Home folder in:

Library/Preferences/Microsoft

rename "Microsoft" to "Microsoft.saved" and log out and back in. That should resolve the issue.

TPinho 03-08-2005 02:55 PM

Thank you both!

I did as suggested and still no joy--- so I had to resort to an archive and install... (after playing around with terminal *shudders* and a not-to-friendly tech pro on the phone) Luckily it looks like the only damage done in the long run was to Dreamweaver (an on the office machine, I only maintain one site, so it's not too much to redo at all...)
I'm still flummoxed by a lot of the Mac terms- and realize that I have a heck of a lot to learn- especially after this experience. Dave, your SuperDuper! is making my rec. requisition list for our next round of installs here...
I'm so used to dealing with PC's- and, forgive me for saying it, they are SO much more straightforward and documented for troubleshooting issues... Seems like OSX is given over to faith-healers half the time- (Images of Gary Larson's "Applicance Healers" anyone?) I'm off to amazon now, time to read up on this stuff as much as possible...

Thanks again!
Y'all ROCK my world...

-Thom.

dnanian 03-08-2005 03:05 PM

Quite sorry we weren't able to help, Thom: unfortunately, it's hard to diagnose this stuff based on some basic information. But, glad that you got things running again.

It does take a little while to get your head around the Mac. But one nice thing is that -- really -- the Mac doesn't suffer from "Windows Rot" which I'm sure you are used to. There's typically little need for reinstalls (and, given time, we probably could have figured out what was going on there)... truly, it's not so much faith healing as careful diagnosis. Unfortunately, people rarely have time for that kind of thing!