Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   reblessing 9.2.2 system folder (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216)

2stepbay 02-02-2005 01:02 PM

reblessing 9.2.2 system folder

I had to reinstall OS X on my main drive due to complications with Expose I have yet to figure out. Since my backups via SuperDuper have the same problem it made no sense to use them.

Upon reinstalling (did an erase) I forgot to set up the drivers for OS 9 :( :eek: (my machine can boot into 9 also). I thought I could move the OS 9 sys. folder from my external back into my HD, however, I noticed after moving the folder it was not "blessed". Result is "no classic".

Is there an easy way to get around this problem? I noticed the OS 9 folders on the external don't appear blessed, however, I can access Classic when I'm booting from the external (go figure).

thanks

dnanian 02-04-2005 09:55 AM

2stepbay:

Very strange: I don't understand how Exposé could force you to reinstall OSX! What, exactly, were you running into?

As far as I know, Classic doesn't require the system folder to be blessed, so I'm not at all sure why it wouldn't be selectable in the Classic preference pane. Does it just not show up? How are you judging whether or not it's blessed?

You very likely won't be able to boot into OS9 without the disk drivers, though...

2stepbay 02-04-2005 12:24 PM

reblessing 9.2.2 system folder

It is very strange. About 2 weeks ago, when I activated the Expose "desktop" command, a neat, miniature stacked pile of open windows appeared on my desktop, instead of their moving off the screen. The bigger problem was the "dead zone" on my monitor this "pile" created.

I posted this situation on 2 Mac forums. No one had an answer for why this was happening. Perhaps, my computer is turning into an oracle of sorts showing me an Apple feature from the future. ;)

By clicking/dragging, I literally could move the pile around the desktop, but not off it. The placement of the pile created a specific "dead zone" on my monitor. It kept me from entering text, selecting a link, or even using certain selections on the Apple menu.

When I booted into my backups, I realized the same problem was affecting them. The only change in my system prior to seeing this mysterious pile was using Candy Bar to change some of my system icons.

At first I thought an archive/install would fix the problem. No go. Pile still appeared. Finally, out of frustration :eek: I just erased the disk and started over. First time I have ever used the "erase disk" feature. What a process.

Unfortunately, I forgot to check off the OS 9 driver section.Hence, my current problem. Maybe this is the Universe's way of saying "let go of 9". All my apps are OS X. However, since my machine can boot into 9, I have retained 9 as another option to access my system in the event of a major unforseen problem with X.

I know my external partitions have OS 9 still intact as the startup panel shows them.

Thinking I could simply drop/drag the System Folder back to my HD was a bit naive, as the startup panel doesn't recognize the System Folder. Hence, my question about "reblessing".

It's been a very strange computer month since I acquired my first external drive. 3 years of sketchy backups (DVDs, zip disks) and never a problem. New drive...backup hell! :mad: Again...go figure.

Perhaps I need to reevaluate my existing backup strategy. That both partitions were affected by the same problem tells me carrying 2 similar copies of the HD is not a good strategy (I backup one on the alternate day using the "smart update" feature) .

dnanian 02-08-2005 05:13 PM

That's not that strange, actually: it's a feature of Exposé that was deliberately hidden by Apple. There's a way to turn it on and off without erasing your system! But you must have run something and requested it to be turned on: are you certain you didn't do that? One of the system maintenance programs, perhaps?

If you didn't install the drivers, it's unlikely you'll be able to boot into 9. But you certainly should be able to select the system folder in the Classic preference pane!

2stepbay 02-13-2005 03:55 AM

the culprit

Discovered the latest version of OnyX has the desktop feature checked in the preference panel! After unchecking, Expose was back to its old self. Strange that it's activation creates a "dead zone". Whatever....

As far as Classic, I'm now able to run it. Also, I can boot into it. I don't understand why it wouldn't run...now does. Perhaps the system restart blessed the folders. Another "whatever".! :confused:

dnanian 02-13-2005 08:08 AM

Yeah -- I think that the reason this 'feature' of Exposé wasn't actually released is that it does things like create a dead zone.

Sometimes, hacking this stuff with OnyX (et all) creates problems... glad you found what was doing it!