Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Boot up issues, where do I go from here? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798)

jettrue 11-13-2005 11:58 PM

Boot up issues, where do I go from here?

Hello!

Well, I had my first kernel panic. Restarted, and now it won't go past the grey screen with the apple on it. Progress circle rotates around once, and then freezes.

I called apple, tried a bunch of things, removing startup items, removing preferences, repairing permissions and disks, resetting nvram?, etc. Can boot into safe mode. Apple suggest an archive and install.

I have my backup and clone (neither will boot normally), and I'm wondering how I should proceed from here. Archive and install to clone, then try to use my backup?

I know your not here to troubleshoot system problems, but I notice in my log a bunch of bluetooth kernel references. Perhaps that's my problem? My bluetooth drivers?

Anyway, thanks for any advice!!!
________
Im_Yours live

dnanian 11-14-2005 07:41 AM

It sounds like your panic started well after the backup copy was made. If so, and the backup won't boot, it seems likely to be a hardware issue. (You kind of want to figure out what's preventing normal startup by examining the system.log, but I assume Apple did that with you.)

Certainly, you can try the archive and install. Don't do this on your backup -- do it on your real drive (it can't really hurt anything, because it's isolated to system files, and this way you retain your backup). If it works, it works... if not, you'll have to figure out what kernel extension or startup item is failing.

jettrue 11-14-2005 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
It sounds like your panic started well after the backup copy was made. If so, and the backup won't boot, it seems likely to be a hardware issue. (You kind of want to figure out what's preventing normal startup by examining the system.log, but I assume Apple did that with you.)

Certainly, you can try the archive and install. Don't do this on your backup -- do it on your real drive (it can't really hurt anything, because it's isolated to system files, and this way you retain your backup). If it works, it works... if not, you'll have to figure out what kernel extension or startup item is failing.

Actually, no apple didn't go through the log with me. :( It's a long list, I can't make any sense of it.

I wasn't trying to pin the problem on super duper, I wasn't thinking it was that at all, I was just wondering on how to go from here now that I have this problem and also use Super Duper.

Also, I don't think it's hardware, because I can boot to safe mode... wouldn't that point to software?
________
The Peak Towers Prathumnak

dnanian 11-14-2005 08:56 AM

My point of indicating that the backup wouldn't boot was more to ask whether or not you created it before things went wrong. If so, then you should be able to boot from it. If not, it seems the problem isn't with software, but rather with hardware.

Safe Boot prevents many things from loading, and those things can be hardware drivers. So, if that hardware is causing trouble, it won't be active, and will allow boot.

Try the following: boot the system with Cmd-Option-v held down. It should print a whole bunch of junk, but at some point it's going to stop. The last 10 lines or so should give some kind of error -- some indication of what's failing...

jettrue 11-14-2005 09:44 AM

Thanks for your fast (as usual) reply.

These are the last 15 or so lines when booting up.

Resetting files and devices
Starting virtual memory
Removing /mach.sym /var/tmp/folders.501 /etc/nologin /private/_tmp_ /var/_run_ /private/var/vm/swapfile0
\mach.sym
Configuring kernel extensions
Jettisoning kernel linker.
Nov 14 07:58:52 kextd[27]: registering service "com.apple.KernelExtensionServer"
Resetting IO Catalogue
Matching service count = 0
Matching service count = 1

That's where it stops. Doesn't mean much to me, LOL.
________
Web shows

dnanian 11-14-2005 09:46 AM

OK. It might be that your kernel extension cache is messed up. While we could delete it, give the archive and install a try.

jettrue 11-14-2005 11:49 AM

dang darn dang!

Archive and install did NOT work. It won't boot up.

I think I will cry :( I work on this system, and they're going to probably keep it for at least two weeks if I bring it to the apple store.

I called apple again, they suggested to do an erase and install. Sigh.

I tried to talk to the guy about the system.log but he had no clue.
________
Laguna Bay Condominium Prathumnak

dnanian 11-14-2005 11:58 AM

OK. If an archive-and-install won't boot up, it's likely there's a hardware problem. I know that's frustrating, but it seems likely... sorry!

You can always work in Safe Boot to get stuff done/off the system...

jettrue 11-14-2005 01:09 PM

Thanks dave. I performed an erase and install just for kicks, and it looks like that didn't help either.

Yeah, I can boot in safe mode to get stuff off, but it's my only mac, so that's kind of moot.

Have to use my PC laptop for a while, I guess. :-)... and reinstall all of my programs on IT, since I thought I wouldn't be needing it anymore, and was going to ebay it... perhaps I should hang onto it instead!
________
DDbreastsWOW cam

dnanian 11-14-2005 01:12 PM

Unfortunately, this is the kind of thing that happens sometimes -- all computers fail, eventually...

jettrue 11-15-2005 04:07 PM

Well, it was the airport card. Thanks to the wonderfully attentive genius at the apple store, he actually ran into the back, opened it up, and removed the airport card while I waited. They're ordering the new airport card, and will install it at a later date. I never use it, so it's OK with me, at least I got to bring my mac back home with me where it belongs. :)

Anyway, just restored my backup, and i'm assuming I need to recreate my clone? It's an exact backup of what was cloned before, but I'm thinking maybe things won't sync up quite right unless I recreate the clone?
________
hotTangerine

dnanian 11-15-2005 04:34 PM

Great -- at least it was something simple.

No need to recreate the clone -- just use Smart Update!