Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   How to prevent Spotlight from Indexing Backup Drives? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2388)

mschmitt 06-23-2007 02:03 PM

The latest version of SuperDuper! is supposed to restore the Spotlight status, but it doesn't always work. I think the problem is that it is too dependent on the Spotlight Privacy tab.

I have indexing disabled on my backup volume via mdutil -i off. Before running SuperDuper, the backup volume has file .Spotlight-V100/_IndexPolicy.plist, with Policy value 3.

As soon as SuperDuper! starts the backup, all of the files in .Spotlight-V100 are erased.

At the end of the backup it says it is restoring the Spotlight status, but .Spotlight-V100 remains empty.

What this means is that the next time I mount this volume, Spotlight is going to start indexing it.

dnanian 06-23-2007 02:23 PM

If you use the Privacy tab, it should work properly. Remember: indexing off is not the same as privacy: privacy also avoids searching the drive.

mschmitt 06-23-2007 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 12647)
If you use the Privacy tab, it should work properly. Remember: indexing off is not the same as privacy: privacy also avoids searching the drive.

But that is just the problem... I want to be able to search the drive with Find. I just don't want Spotlight to index it.

So I followed the instructions at this site: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/stopspotlightindex.html

I'm going to try the disable_spotlight post backup shell script and see how that works for me.

dnanian 06-23-2007 02:44 PM

OK; should work fine.

gryphonent 06-24-2007 01:40 PM

What is the post-backup spotlight script you’re referring referring to? I have exactly the same problem. While I would expect a function in SD to handle this and hate the fact that I have to scout forums and go into the depths of terminal programming... I reckon there’s no way around. Indexing even starts while copying, which brings my system to a halt. Literally.

dnanian 06-24-2007 01:43 PM

It's in the Frequently Asked Questions section.

gryphonent 06-24-2007 02:00 PM

Dave,

Thanks for the swift reply. It might be time to rewrite the FAQ on this. I found it, however:

>As of v2.0, when used with Tiger 10.4.3 or later, it's quite easy: just add the volume to the Privacy tab of the Spotlight preference pane. We'll automatically ensure that that state is maintained, and all should work fine.

Nope, doesn’t work. Been there, done that. SD doesn’t ensure that the state is maintained. Read above posts and you’ll see I’m not alone with this observation.

>Now, open SuperDuper! In Options, there's a selection for a "Site Customization Script". Check the box, and select the "disable_spotlight" executable in the open panel.

Again, time for a rewrite. In version 2 this section does not exist! Do I run the script BEFORE or AFTER a copy?

dnanian 06-24-2007 02:20 PM

While I recognize that there are some users on this thread having trouble with Privacy, it does work in my testing. If the copy fails, there could be problems, but otherwise it should work.

You run the script as an after copy script.

Dieringer 06-25-2007 06:15 PM

Add me to the list of folks who has this problem. Mutliple times, with multiple drives. All works fine at first and then the drive disappears from the Privacy list in Spotlight.

I even bought Spotless hoping it would fix the problem, but _it_ was overriden somehow and the backup volume shows up in Spotlight searches.

I used to use the script pre-2.0 so I'll go back to it.

minckster 06-25-2007 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 12665)
While I recognize that there are some users on this thread having trouble with Privacy, it does work in my testing. If the copy fails, there could be problems, but otherwise it should work.

That's my experience. It works fine except when I stop a backup before SuperDuper restores my privacy settings. In response, when I cancel a backup, I go to Spotlight's preferences to ensure that the backup drive is still in the privacy tab. If I'm feeling particularly paranoid, I eject the backup drive and remount it before checking Spotlight's privacy tab.

Would it be feasible to restore the privacy setting when quitting an incomplete backup?

Here's a hint: If Spotlight indexes the apps on your backup drive, the "Open With" menu may double up for each app even after you restore the backup drive to Spotlight's privacy tab. Here's the command to fix that up:
Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -f -domain local -domain system -domain user "/Applications"
I always reboot immediately afterwards, but I'm not sure that's necessary.

dnanian 06-25-2007 08:43 PM

It's something we're looking at... there are some complexities involved.

gryphonent 07-01-2007 07:34 AM

Dave,

You tend to assume that when things work for you with SD they should work for other people too. I think, especially for a developer of quality software, you should rethink this point of view.

I’ve added the shell script from the FAQ section to my schedule in SD and it just ran for the first time after backup had completed. Right now, my drive is busy with indexing. Again. So much for that solution to the problem.

As mentioned above, adding a drive to the privacy tab doesn’t help either as Spotlight seems to forget about this once SD has used the drive for a backup. I certainly feel - and have all the time - that this is an issue/bug with SD and not Spotlight.

minckster 07-01-2007 07:48 AM

gryphonent, I have an idea on what the problem may be, as I had difficulty getting shell scripts to run with scheduled backups too. After you add the shell scripts to your advanced options, you have to recreate your scheduled backups for them to "stick" as part of the scheduled activity.

Edit to add: Ooops! I just noticed that you mentioned that the shell script did indeed run after the backup. Never mind! My next wild-a$s guess is some sort of problem passing a parameter from SD to the shell script. It's a simple one:
Quote:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Disabling spotlight for $4..."
mdutil -E -i off "$4"

dnanian 07-01-2007 08:02 AM

It's not so much that I feel it should work the way it should work for me, but rather than it should work as it does in our testing, which crosses a lot of different users and machines.

There's a definite issue in SD! where a backup fails, where it doesn't restore the spotlight state. We know about that. But when a Spotlight volume doesn't go into Privacy, that's something else, and much more an issue with Spotlight...

gryphonent 07-01-2007 03:33 PM

The volume can be dragged into the privacy tab... however, once SD completes the next backup it “disappears” from the list.