Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Is my screen saver NOT active during backup? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2040)

iMick 01-23-2007 10:36 PM

Is my screen saver NOT active during backup?

Forgive me if this is covered somewhere, but I did read the manual (skimmed it) and looked at the forums/FAQs but didn't see it.

I am in the middle of my first backup, and noticed that the screen didn't go to sleep. Is this something that SD disables during it's backup? If so, will it be active again after the backup? I don't really want to go to sleep with the screen burning in, or maybe that's not going to happen anyway?

FWIW, I chose DO NOTHING after completion, because I didn't think it would take more than an hour to do. It's about 40% done with a little over an hour so far.

dnanian 01-23-2007 11:23 PM

That's right: the screen saver is kept off in the current version of SD.

iMick 01-24-2007 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 10521)
That's right: the screen saver is kept off in the current version of SD.

Does it reactivate after the backup?

dnanian 01-24-2007 10:59 AM

Yes. It's only kept off during the copy.

t3rockhall 01-27-2007 01:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's an interesting question. Now let me throw a curveball. I have an app called "EarthDesk" in my startup folder. It creates a dynamic globe on the desktop. The sun's shadow is updated regularly, so you see the illuminated earth in real time.

What happens if I run SD with this running?? Do I have to remember to shut it off before backing up?

dnanian 01-27-2007 09:03 PM

No, it's probably fine if you're not getting any errors.

t3rockhall 02-21-2007 07:12 PM

EarthDesk

Follow up:
Well, I tried to use my backup to bring my other iMac up to date -- and it froze on startup. Yes, the Backup. I finally got it all shut down. and rebooted in Safe Mode, removed the startup EarthDesk and it worked, although I still had the desktop image. I changed the desktop image to plain blue, rebooted and now it's all OK.

I think the problem is with the dynamic desktop, but, whatever it is, I no longer keep it as a startup file.

Just FYI.

dnanian 02-21-2007 07:21 PM

Huh. I don't know why that would cause a problem, but thanks for the info.

klmorin 02-24-2007 05:34 PM

Screen saver NOT active during backups

Quote:

Originally Posted by iMick (Post 10520)
Forgive me if this is covered somewhere, but I did read the manual (skimmed it) and looked at the forums/FAQs but didn't see it.

I am in the middle of my first backup, and noticed that the screen didn't go to sleep. Is this something that SD disables during it's backup? If so, will it be active again after the backup? I don't really want to go to sleep with the screen burning in, or maybe that's not going to happen anyway?

FWIW, I chose DO NOTHING after completion, because I didn't think it would take more than an hour to do. It's about 40% done with a little over an hour so far.

I don't like too much this idea to keep the screen burning in during the backups. Some backups take sometimes several hours and SD desable the screen saver.
I found a small application (freeware) which makes it possible to cover the screen of a black panel during the backups.

Screenshot Helper 1.1 from katsura shareware
www.katsurashareware.com

dnanian 02-24-2007 06:23 PM

Stay tuned, klmorin...

jchiar 02-26-2007 01:31 PM

I was wondering about a built in feature to blank the screen.

wessew 02-28-2007 03:23 PM

Blanking the Screen Using System Preferences

Why not use System Preferences to blank the display after a certain period of time? This function is separate from Screen Saver.

dnanian 02-28-2007 03:48 PM

Exactly: we just don't suppress it now...

klmorin 02-28-2007 05:25 PM

This function is not functional either with SD.

dnanian 02-28-2007 05:38 PM

It is in 2.1.4...