Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   No date in "Last Copy" column (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4993)

dlt4 02-08-2009 10:14 AM

No date in "Last Copy" column

SD makes a backup of my HD every Sunday AM, but there is never any date in the "Last Copy" column. It always shows the "Next Copy" date as a week away. I've manually ran a backup and it still doesn't put a date in the "Last Copy" column. Is that normal, and if so, why isn't there a date there so I know that a backup was completed? :confused:

Thanks.

tuni 02-08-2009 10:54 AM

you could look at the log? that would give the dates...

just a thought,
tuni

dnanian 02-08-2009 10:59 AM

Are you sure it's running? When you run "manually", are you running from the Scheduled Copies window?

dlt4 02-08-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 23466)
Are you sure it's running? When you run "manually", are you running from the Scheduled Copies window?

Yes, I do run it manually from the Scheduled Copies window, and it still doesn't put a date the the Last Copy column.

dlt4 02-08-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuni (Post 23465)

just a thought,
tuni

As a new user of SD, I wasn't aware of the log file until you mentioned it. There was a record of only one backup, the one I ran manually this morning. I've ran other backups manually. Does the log only keep a copy of the last backup?

dnanian 02-08-2009 10:18 PM

I guess I'd suggest deleting and recreating your schedule. Then, try clicking Copy Now in the Scheduled Copies window. Let's see if that works.

tuni 02-09-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tuni (Post 23465)

just a thought,
tuni

my log shows several backups. I don't know why your's doesn't? Perhaps Dave can help, my "knowledge" is very limited.

good luck,

dnanian 02-09-2009 11:47 AM

Each individual log is just a single backup. Additional logs for that particular setup can be accessed by Cmd+clicking the title bar of the window and selecting the "Logs" folder.

dlt4 02-09-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 23484)
Each individual log is just a single backup. Additional logs for that particular setup can be accessed by Cmd+clicking the title bar of the window and selecting the "Logs" folder.

Which window do you Cmd+click?

dnanian 02-09-2009 01:09 PM

An existing log window.

dlt4 02-09-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 23484)

I checked all of the log files and apparently SD has NEVER ran the automatic backup I have scheduled. The first thought that comes to mind is perhaps SD will not start if my Mac is asleep. Is that true?

The other question is why even the manual backups aren't listed in the Last Copy column.

dnanian 02-09-2009 05:49 PM

That's true, and documented in the Scheduling section of the User's Guide.

I don't know why your manual backups aren't listed, if they're run from Scheduled Copies.

dlt4 02-09-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 23492)
That's true, and documented in the Scheduling section of the User's Guide.

I don't know why your manual backups aren't listed, if they're run from Scheduled Copies.

This won't come as a surprise to anybody, but apparently it's been "user error" causing the problem.

I've been manually running Copy Now from the SuperDuper! window because that's the one that pops to the front when SD is started. I just completed a manual backup from the Scheduled Copies window, and surprise, the update is listed in the Last Copy column.

My scheduled backup is at 3AM on Sunday morning, and of course the Mac is asleep. Sort of explains why the automatic backup wasn't running.

Live and learn. Thanks to everybody that helped. :)

dnanian 02-09-2009 06:32 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough when I mentionedthat in my first reply, but I'm glad you're all set.

dlt4 02-09-2009 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 23494)
I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough when I mentionedthat in my first reply, but I'm glad you're all set.

One more thing. What's the connection between the SuperDuper! window and the Schedule Copies window as far as scheduling backups? I set my backup time from the Edit button in the Schedule Copies window, but selecting Schedule in the SuperDuper! window shows a different time for the backup. :confused: