Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   NetTunes controls not working (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38)

Steven 12-01-2003 03:59 PM

NetTunes controls not working

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can offer a solution to a problem that recently cropped up - the menu bar controls and the controls in the servers windown have stopped working. To use NetTunes I have to open the iTunes window and use the controls in the iTunes interface.

Any help appreciated.

dnanian 12-01-2003 04:27 PM

Steven,

If you're running under Panther, is it possible that your screen saver has kicked in?

One of the big changes under Panther is that apple script doesn't seem to work when the screen saver is running. This means that the commands I'm sending to iTunes -- Apple Events, when you're using the "direct controls" -- don't get through until the screen wakes up.

There's a setting in the netTunes preference pane that should help correct this problem for you: allow screen to blank when idle. This'll prevent the screen saver from kicking in, and should correct the problem.

I'm looking into other solutions at this end -- for example, waking the screen just before sending an Apple Event. This type of fix is due in a future release.

Steven 12-01-2003 05:04 PM

Hi

I'm not using Panther (yet) and the 'allow screen ...' box is checked on the server side. I can watch the screen on Timbuktu and the screen saver doesn't kick in (the screen saver is set to never kick in because there's no screen on the server).

I've reinstalled the client and the server software but it doesn't change.

dnanian 12-01-2003 07:46 PM

OK -- a few things I need.

- What version of OS X are you running?
- What version of iTunes are you running?
- What version of netTunes are you running on both the client and server?

I can't think of any reason, offhand, why this wouldn't work -- I'm sending the AppleEvents to iTunes, and it should be functional -- there's a lot more magic with the remote control that's done by remoting the window than there is with direct action.

Does iTunes automatically launch if it's not running when you try to connect?

Anything in the Console on the server machine when it fails?

Steven 12-07-2003 02:58 PM

OSX was 10.2.8 now Panther. Makes no difference which version.

Now this is weird. I just started iTunes to check the version and it went through the licence agreement and preferences as though I'd just installed a new version (which I haven't). And everything is working. Current version is 4.1

dnanian 12-07-2003 03:05 PM

That is rather weird!

Control would definitely not work if the license agreement was up -- iTunes, unfortunately, doesn't respond while it's got the dialog up, and I don't really have a way of suppressing it.

But, delighted to hear that it seems to have fixed itself, at least for now!