Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   unexpected EOF while looking for matching `'' (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335)

dmw 05-05-2005 02:19 PM

unexpected EOF while looking for matching `''

Got this error while trying to perform my first backup since upgrading to Tiger. I've attached the log file, and my system profile.

I don't know if you can tell from my system profile, but both source and destination drives are formatted with case-sensitive hfs+

dnanian 05-05-2005 04:08 PM

OK. We've had two other reports of this problem and we're trying to figure out what it is. I can say, for certain, that formatting for case-sensitive HFS+ is probably a mistake: we've been informed that it's not supported as a boot format, and should only be used for very specific situations. Are you sure you want to do this?

Regarding the error: something unusual isn't getting escaped, or something. Are you registered? (I only ask because one other user was not, and I want to see if that's a common factor -- not because you have to register to use the program the way you are, or get support.)

dmw 05-05-2005 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
Are you sure you want to do this?

Yeah, the default case-insensitive filesystem has long been a headache when porting software that comes from a case-sensitive filesystem. I haven't had any problems thus far (other than this).

And yes, I am registered. Is there a way I can find out what script it is trying to run? Then maybe I could find out why it's barfing there.

dnanian 05-06-2005 07:42 AM

Do me a favor and contact me through support. We'll put together a private build that'll help diagnose the issue.

Blake McCormick 06-15-2005 05:51 PM

Same Problem here with unexpected EOF

Quote:

Do me a favor and contact me through support. We'll put together a private build that'll help diagnose the issue.

I am running in to the unexpected EOF while looking for matching `'' problem that dmw reports in the forums.

I installed the latest version of Super Duper and am a registered user.

The first backup of Tiger from case-sensitive, journalled disk to external firewire case-sensitive, journalled disk reported the "Could not ignore permissions" error. I ran the line of terminal code and restarted.

I am emailing Support with my Super Duper log file and System Profiler.

dnanian 06-15-2005 05:54 PM

Hi, Blake:

The problem, in this case, is that the current version of SuperDuper! can't be *run* from a Case Sensitive volume. (We can copy one, though.)

To resolve the problem -- temporarily -- create a disk image with Disk Utility and run SuperDuper! from the image (which shouldn't be case sensitive).

We'll have this bug fixed in v2.0 of SuperDuper! In the meantime, sorry for the difficulties.

(The second issue is covered in the FAQ, so check that out.)

ajcowell 10-02-2005 03:39 PM

Neary four months later....

Has this not been addressed yet? I'm having the same problem, and will use this fix for the time being, but would be nice to not have to go through this hurdle.

Andrew.

Quote:

Hi, Blake:

The problem, in this case, is that the current version of SuperDuper! can't be *run* from a Case Sensitive volume. (We can copy one, though.)

To resolve the problem -- temporarily -- create a disk image with Disk Utility and run SuperDuper! from the image (which shouldn't be case sensitive).

We'll have this bug fixed in v2.0 of SuperDuper! In the meantime, sorry for the difficulties.

(The second issue is covered in the FAQ, so check that out.)

dnanian 10-02-2005 04:12 PM

Well, it has been addressed in v2.0, but we're not quite ready to release that yet. Soon... and sorry for the trouble.

ajcowell 10-02-2005 05:22 PM

No Problem

Quote:

Well, it has been addressed in v2.0, but we're not quite ready to release that yet. Soon... and sorry for the trouble.

No problem, and thanks for the reply. Sorry for the shortness of my original post, it's just that I spend a few hours this morning setting up my laptop to just how I wanted it and then I spent a little while longer trying to get SuperDuper to work. I've since found that other apps have problems with volumes that are formated case dependent (Norton AntiVirus 10 being one of them). No such little workaround in this case so I'm reformating and starting over.

Thanks again, looking forward to 2.0

dnanian 10-02-2005 05:39 PM

Yeah, Adobe apps don't like Case Dependent volumes either... I understand the frustration, it's just that I couldn't justify releasing a bug fix to the 1.x series for this problem: it would require stopping the v2.x series, re-testing, etc...

Again, sorry for the hassle. It shouldn't be too much longer.