Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Western Digital HD (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2634)

omarkn 07-21-2007 05:58 AM

Western Digital HD

Hello good folks,

Just got rid of my USB-HD, and
bought a Western Digital HD 500 GB Firewire
(at a better price than a Maxtor OneTouch).

Western Digital write for this HD:
Sys requirements: Moc OS 10.3 or later

--------------------
Now coming home and checking in the Users' Guide it says like:
"We have tested LaCie etc ... and they all work well with the Mac," with Western Digital not mentioned,
although on this forum, i later found sth on Western Digital...
(but where is the forum's search box?).

My question:
Should i return the Western Digital HD
and get a Maxtor OneTouch f ex
or can i expect the Western Digital HD (Firewire) works as it should?

bw, Omar K Neusser

dnanian 07-21-2007 07:17 AM

Which WD drive is this, Omar?

omarkn 07-21-2007 08:20 AM

well. now i see it's the WD "My Book" Premium Edition,
which i saw a thread about here somewhere.

This drive also has a power adapter.

I can still give it back as it is unopened! :-)

bw, Omar K Neusser

dnanian 07-21-2007 08:23 AM

Yes, other users have had good luck with this drive, although I haven't bought one to test here (I barely have enough room in the office for the Macs and hard drives I've got now).

I believe two users here have indicated that the drive had problems with partitioning and sleep. That's not something I've seen with other drives, and don't quite understand how it could happen, but it's been reported. Others, though, haven't indicated any difficulty... and the users who were having problems might also have similar issues with other drives.

The most important thing is to properly partition the drive, even into one partition, with Disk Utility. Make sure you click the "Options" button in Disk Utility's "Partition" tab and choose the proper partition scheme for your Mac!

omarkn 07-21-2007 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 13086)
Yes, other users have had good luck with this drive...

Thanks Dave, I'll go ahead now and
drop a line ( a comment) here or so later, ...

bw, Omar K Neusser
(maybe you should open a retail store or so for used macs ? just a thought)

omarkn 07-21-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omarkn (Post 13088)
I'll go ahead now and
drop a line ( a comment) here...

Success!
Just booted alright from the SD-clone,
on a Western Digital HD 500 GB Firewire.

So it works.

But now i don't want to save any files or anything on the clone,
so i'll restart,

well - best wishes,
Omar K Neusser
G5 PPC

dnanian 07-21-2007 02:33 PM

Congratulations, Omar: I'm glad it's working for you.

Steno 09-17-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 13086)
Yes, other users have had good luck with this drive, although I haven't bought one to test here (I barely have enough room in the office for the Macs and hard drives I've got now).

I believe two users here have indicated that the drive had problems with partitioning and sleep. That's not something I've seen with other drives, and don't quite understand how it could happen, but it's been reported. Others, though, haven't indicated any difficulty... and the users who were having problems might also have similar issues with other drives.

The most important thing is to properly partition the drive, even into one partition, with Disk Utility. Make sure you click the "Options" button in Disk Utility's "Partition" tab and choose the proper partition scheme for your Mac!

Excuse me for stepping in here, it might be incorrect to do so. I am absolutely new here. I downloaded SD an hour ago and was immediately aware that I might have ordered the wrong HD, not yet delivered, maybe it will arrive tomorrow. It is not an "My Book Premium Edition" as your answer above relates to, but an "My Book Pro Edition" WDG1T5000 500 GB a FW 800/400 HD. I cannot find any information about Oxford chipset and number. Any chanche of saying whether it will work or I should return it without opening the box? My Mac is a Alu-book G4 1,25 Ghz, OS X 10.4.10.
Thanks in advance.
Steno

dnanian 09-17-2007 07:10 PM

I wouldn't get this drive with a Power PC Mac, Steno.

kevinashworth 09-18-2007 10:32 AM

Steno, I bought a Western Digital My Book Pro Edition 500 GB External Hard Drive with Triple Interface in July. It now has two partitions and I've got no sleep problems. It and SuperDuper! get along fine except for Spotlight settings. SuperDuper! and Mac OS X are awful at leaving Spotlight turned off (don't know which to blame, frankly), so I also bought Spotless. YMMV.

dnanian 09-18-2007 11:23 AM

Are you using a Power PC Mac, Kevin, and have you tried starting up from it?

Steno 09-18-2007 04:15 PM

Thanks to both Dave and Kevin
I ended up cancelling my order on a WD My Book, and buy a Maxtor 500GB OneTouch III Triple Interface. Wise or not, I don't know for sure, but the Maxtor was in stock and the WD was still not in stock. I have respect for the issue of the correct Oxford Chipset, and I allready have an older Maxtor 120GB OneTouch. To small now a days, but it has worked fine with CCC, though I haven't been truely consistent with backups for 2 two years, but that's now going to happen.
Thanks Steno

kevinashworth 09-19-2007 07:22 AM

I have an iMac G5. I'm running off the backup drive as I type this. (I'd done it before, I said to myself. Then I doubted. So I verified!)

dnanian 09-19-2007 08:43 AM

Good news. I'm confused about their knowledge base article that claims it won't work with Power PC Macs due to the way they set up their LUNs...

matt! 09-20-2007 08:56 AM

I also have a silver WD My Book Pro triple interface FW 400/800, USB 2.0).
I used to have a "Essential" which was USB 2.0 only.

Both work fine, though I prefer the firewire.

The only issue with the firewire is that you can't daisy chain them together because all drives have the same ID. Doh!

matt