Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   schedule sometimes changes (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7225)

Dan Lester 04-13-2020 10:38 PM

schedule sometimes changes

So I have SuperDuper set up to always do my backups at 2:30am. But every once in a while, I'm working in waking hours and BOOM, SuperDuper starts copying. I say whaaat?, stop it, and look at the schedule window. Sure enough, the scheduled time has mysteriously changed. Just now, it started up at 9:30pm, and that's exactly what the mysteriously changed schedule told it to do.

This doesn't seem to happen a lot. Maybe every few months. But it sure is weird. Now, I can understand that a freak cosmic ray can do odd things, but those cosmic rays are hitting the same byte.

Is there something, perhaps another application, that is known to diddle with the SuperDuper schedule?

FWIW, I did have to reboot a few hours ago, which I rarely have to do. Can a reboot mess up the schedule?

dnanian 04-14-2020 08:08 AM

Hi, Dan. So, it seems likely you're clicking "Schedule..." to "review" your schedules, and that's creating a new schedule. If you look in Window > Scheduled Copies, you probably see more than one.

Alternatively, you've got "Backup on connect" checked and, intermittently, the drive is "re-mounting" which causes a run.

There's just no way it's "changing" its time to run at a different time.

(Rebooting doesn't do anything to the schedule. We're checking to see if we have to run every minute, basically, and we compare "now" to the scheduled time. Reboot doesn't affect that at all.)

Dan Lester 04-14-2020 09:11 AM

Yes, the schedule isn't actually changing. In fact, a NEW, second scheduled run is somehow being created. Yesterday, somehow, a second run was scheduled at 9:30pm (on the same days as my 2:30am run). So my schedule list now includes a second backup run for that disk. That second run is identified as #2.

Well, my point is that I'm not changing anything. I don't even open the program until I'm trying to figure out what happened. So I'm certainly not looking at my schedules when the new run is scheduled.

I do not have backup-on-connect checked.

dnanian 04-14-2020 10:01 AM

That's what I'm saying, Dan: you clicked "Schedule..." which created another schedule. It didn't create itself.

If you want to review schedules, use Window > Scheduled Copies...

Dan Lester 04-14-2020 03:12 PM

Let's try this again. I'm tooling along on my Mac at 9:30pm last night, and SuperDuper suddenly starts a copy. Huhhh? My backup copies have always been scheduled for 2:30am. In fact, that morning it did one at 2:30am as it was supposed to have done.

I THEN clicked Schedule, where I found that *somehow* a second run had been scheduled for 9:30pm. I didn't do it. That is, the run I saw happen at 9:30pm must have been scheduled before I ever clicked on anything in SuperDuper. Nothing I did on SuperDuper produced that second scheduled run, because I hadn't opened SuperDuper for weeks.

dnanian 04-14-2020 03:13 PM

When you clicked Schedule... it created a new schedule, or opened one that was there. Really. We do not, and cannot, create a schedule behind your back.

Really, Dan. It cannot happen.