Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   "Cannot find target volume ("null")" (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990)

patrickmast 04-20-2008 05:07 PM

"Cannot find target volume ("null")"

Hi,

I can't use SuperDuper! anymore. It always says "SuperDuper! cannot find target volume "(null)"

I can press cancel, but the message wont go away.

What can I do?

Patrick

dnanian 04-20-2008 05:20 PM

Hi, Patrick. Quit SD!, then delete the "Saved Settings" folder in Library/Application Support/SuperDuper! (off your Home folder). Then, give it another try.

patrickmast 04-21-2008 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 18996)
Hi, Patrick. Quit SD!, then delete the "Saved Settings" folder in Library/Application Support/SuperDuper! (off your Home folder). Then, give it another try.

Works fine. Thanks!

Patrick Mast
http://www.WinFakt.be

supermonkey 05-20-2008 12:08 AM

This keeps happening to me every week when I need to backup my Mac. I tried deleting the folder mentioned above, but that only removes the error message. To get SuperDuper to work, I have to reboot my Mac.

Is this a bug? Any ideas what may be causing this?

dnanian 05-20-2008 08:05 AM

You quit SD! and removed this folder, and SD! wouldn't start properly after that?

supermonkey 05-20-2008 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 19491)
You quit SD! and removed this folder, and SD! wouldn't start properly after that?

Correct. I had to restart my computer.

dnanian 05-20-2008 09:07 AM

That sounds to me more like a hardware issue, supermonkey. Perhaps a misbehaving peripheral/drive isn't exposing itself to the OS properly?

gerryleonidas 07-03-2009 07:23 AM

I had the same problem. Tracked it down to using ExpanDrive. Quit that, and SD works fine.

dnanian 07-03-2009 07:34 AM

I have ExpanDrive running on my system without generating this kind of problem...

Manu Chao 07-07-2009 08:34 AM

I too just ran into this issue ("SuperDuper! cannot find target volume "(null)" appearing, and the inability to dismiss the dialogue box, even though the menubar was still working in SD). For me too, deleting the settings folder, removed that message, but the buttons in SD were still greyed out.
Quitting ExpanDrive fixed this.

But, I have been running ExpanDrive regularly (though not constantly) for at least half a year and SD worked fine all the time. There has been no new version of ExpanDrive (nor SD, nor the OS) lately. So, this is definitely an issue triggered only by a certain set of circumstances. But is also definitely related to something ExpanDrive does or cause.

dnanian 07-07-2009 08:47 AM

Does it happen when ExpanDrive is running but no volume is mounted?

Manu Chao 07-07-2009 09:42 AM

At that moment, ExpanDrive had one mounted volume. I did not try it with ExpanDrive running but no volumes mounted, ie, I started SD before I restarted ExpanDrive. Currently SD is running and I have restarted ExpanDrive but not yet mounted a volume (and SD is cloning away fine at the moment). Incidentally, SD reverted to doing the not-so-smart-full-copy clone. However, this might also be due to the deletion of the Settings folder which might have reset a few things.

dnanian 07-07-2009 11:13 AM

Yes, the settings folder would cause your options to reset to the defaults.

Manu Chao 07-07-2009 12:47 PM

I have now started up and run SD a couple of times (with ExpanDrive running and with and without actual drives mounted). In other words, I cannot reproduce the error (neither did I expect to).
And the full copy was as rather expected due to the settings being that way, which I changed now.

nosillacast 09-27-2010 11:08 AM

target volume is mounted, but still cannot find target volume (null)

I backed up to this external drive (my offsite backup) last Wednesday. Today I fire up SD and it says it can't find the target volume. (note the volume is mounted, visible and I can navigate it). I'm used to that, seems to always happen when I switch from home to offsite backup, but today I can't cancel out. I can quit, but reopening SD gets the same effect. I have no Saved Settings in my Application Support/Superduper! folder.

I can get to the preferences, I tried telling it to forget the volumes, quit and go back in. That gets rid of the (null) message but both volume pulldowns are greyed out.