Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   SD stuck, other apps frozen, external HD wouldn't mount afterwards on 2.5 first run (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3532)

mykmelez 02-06-2008 09:28 AM

SD stuck, other apps frozen, external HD wouldn't mount afterwards on 2.5 first run

I updated to 2.5 yesterday, and the first time I ran it and told it to do a backup from my MacBook Pro's internal hard drive to an external Maxtor firewire drive, it got stuck repairing permissions (but didn't freeze, the timer continued ticking away the seconds), and after about 10 minutes my other running applications (Firefox, Thunderbird, Terminal.app, and one other I can't recall; might have been Colloquy) all froze one after another.

I think they froze when they tried to access the filesystem. In Terminal.app, the terminal tabs froze individually when I tried to run ps or truss in them. And commands in the Apple menu like Restart and Shut Down didn't work. So I hard restarted my machine, and when it came back up it wouldn't mount my Maxtor firewire drive.

Unplugging and replugging the firewire cable didn't solve the problem, nor did turning the drive off and then back on. But after fiddling with it for a while, it worked again (I think after another restart), after which subsequent backup attempts worked fine (SD still takes a while to restore permissions, but it eventually moves past that stage, and no other apps freeze in the process).

dnanian 02-06-2008 12:41 PM

I'm not sure what might have happened there: when we "repair permissions" we literally ask Disk Utility to do it, and wait for it to tell us that it's done. We're not doing it "ourselves" -- the checkbox is there for your convenience...

mykmelez 02-06-2008 01:27 PM

Hmm, perhaps this is a Mac OS X bug, then. In any case, things seem to be fine now, I only posted because I thought you'd want to know about the problem.

dnelon 02-06-2008 02:04 PM

Similar Problem Here

I tried to run version 2.5 with Smart Update this morning and it finally brought the machine to standstill with several minutes elapsing before mouse clicks were acknowledged. iTunes stopped playing (would actually give a few seconds of music every few minutes) and command-tab to move between windows was ignored ass well. According to Activity Monitor "windowserv_" was the biggest CPU user but it rarely spiked above 70%. After an hour of this and no progress on the copy stats (was stuck at 24.72 GB copied) in SD I stopped the copy and everything came back to life.

15" 2.4GHz MBP
4GB Ram
OSX 10.5.1

davecc 02-06-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mykmelez (Post 17077)
Hmm, perhaps this is a Mac OS X bug, then. In any case, things seem to be fine now, I only posted because I thought you'd want to know about the problem.

It seems to be a Leopard bug. Check the link provided:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....81398&#5881398

dnelon 02-06-2008 06:41 PM

Dave,
I've tried three additional backups since my post earlier and they all end the same way. Starts OK but eventually comes to a crawl taking the whole machine with it. The behavior seems to be the same with and without Smart Update and with no other applications open. Let me know if you need me to send you something to look at it.

MBP 15" 2.4 GHz
4Gb Ram
OSX 10.5.1

dnanian 02-06-2008 06:51 PM

Running any AntiVirus?

Bruno_08 02-07-2008 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnelon (Post 17109)
Dave,
I've tried three additional backups since my post earlier and they all end the same way. Starts OK but eventually comes to a crawl taking the whole machine with it. The behavior seems to be the same with and without Smart Update and with no other applications open. Let me know if you need me to send you something to look at it.

MBP 15" 2.4 GHz
4Gb Ram
OSX 10.5.1

I had the same problem, I have resolved in an "Rebuild Prebindings" on the clone.
You can use the Terminal to do that, but i used "Leopard Cache Cleaner" The only application that I could run from the clone ...

dnelon 02-18-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 17110)
Running any AntiVirus?

No antivirus running or Windows partitions. I looked at the log (scary I know!) and see that the pattern below is repeated numerous times before I finally give up:

02:59:02 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(14): Bad address
| 02:59:02 PM | Info | WARNING: Source: /usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo.mo, lstat(): 0
| 02:59:02 PM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/Backup Partition/usr/share/locale/tr/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo.mo, lstat(): 0
| 02:59:02 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
| 02:59:25 PM | Info | Successfully copied file.
| 02:59:55 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(14): Bad address
| 02:59:55 PM | Info | WARNING: Source: /usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo.mo, lstat(): 0
| 02:59:55 PM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/Backup Partition/usr/share/locale/ro/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo.mo, lstat(): 0
| 02:59:55 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
| 03:00:17 PM | Info | Successfully copied file.
| 03:00:40 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(14): Bad address
| 03:00:40 PM | Info | WARNING: Source: /usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo.mo, lstat(): 0
| 03:00:40 PM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/Backup Partition/usr/share/locale/cs/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo.mo, lstat(): 0
| 03:00:40 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().
| 03:01:03 PM | Info | Successfully copied file.
| 03:01:27 PM | Info | WARNING: Caught I/O exception(14): Bad address
| 03:01:27 PM | Info | WARNING: Source: /usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo.mo, lstat(): 0
| 03:01:27 PM | Info | WARNING: Target: /Volumes/Backup Partition/usr/share/locale/pl/LC_MESSAGES/texinfo.mo, lstat(): 0
| 03:01:27 PM | Info | Attempting to copy file using copyfile().

dnelon 02-18-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruno_08 (Post 17139)
I had the same problem, I have resolved in an "Rebuild Prebindings" on the clone.
You can use the Terminal to do that, but i used "Leopard Cache Cleaner" The only application that I could run from the clone ...

What do you mean? I can't even create a clone. I let it run for hours and hours and it never finishes.

dnanian 02-19-2008 11:32 AM

The source drive looks like it might be quite damaged, actually, but it could be the destination. What exactly are you copying to?

dnelon 02-20-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 17746)
The source drive looks like it might be quite damaged, actually, but it could be the destination. What exactly are you copying to?

The source drive is my internal disk and the drive that I am copying to is a Maxtor 250GB external drive connected via Firewire. It has two partitions, one of which is where SD was previously backing up before I moved to Leopard. Happy to send you any other data you need.

Thanks,
DeWayne

dnanian 02-20-2008 06:08 PM

You can send me the logs using the "Send to shirt pocket" button in the UI, which'd help.

jayclapp 02-20-2008 06:54 PM

clone won't start up

I am using SD 2.5. I created a backup - all files on a acomdata firewire external hard drive that I had partitioned for a bootable clone. My first attempt failed, apparently because I hadn't turned off the sleep function. My 2nd attempt appeared to be successful as the two drives looked very similar, although the original HD has 105.29 GB whereas the clone has 103.85G.

I can't get the clone to boot up. I get the gray screen with the Apple logo and a spinning circle below. It just spins away for minutes with nothing else happening. I left it for 20-30 minutes and it had a kernal panic attack (haven't seen one of those in ages). Shut down and did a smart update. Same results. I don't know where to go from here. Can anyone help?

dnanian 02-20-2008 08:33 PM

Try the "prebinding" solution from the topmost thread in this section, Jay.