Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Growl 1.3 - no alerts (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6539)

scott721 10-04-2011 09:42 AM

Growl 1.3 - no alerts

Growl has been upgraded to a full-fledged application sold ($1.99 and well worth it, in my opinion) in the Mac's App Store. The old pref pane is now gone - removal is required as part of the installation process - and the new application has several more features.

Sadly, though, the new version does not appear to be compatible with the latest version of SD. It would be very much appreciated if the good folks at Shirt Pocket could make the appropriate changes to SD so that Growl 1.3 would function with it.

SD, it should be said, is my #1 indispensable application - no matter how much convenience is offered by others the security of knowing that I've got a complete, accurate, usable backup available at any time makes it the only aftermarket application that I truly wouldn't live without. Thanks, as always, for the great work.

joelw135 10-04-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott721 (Post 31043)
Growl has been upgraded to a full-fledged application sold ($1.99 and well worth it, in my opinion) in the Mac's App Store. The old pref pane is now gone - removal is required as part of the installation process - and the new application has several more features.

Sadly, though, the new version does not appear to be compatible with the latest version of SD. It would be very much appreciated if the good folks at Shirt Pocket could make the appropriate changes to SD so that Growl 1.3 would function with it.

SD, it should be said, is my #1 indispensable application - no matter how much convenience is offered by others the security of knowing that I've got a complete, accurate, usable backup available at any time makes it the only aftermarket application that I truly wouldn't live without. Thanks, as always, for the great work.

I agree I have the same problem.

dnanian 10-04-2011 05:21 PM

It's unfortunate that Growl has broken compatibility in the latest update. I recommend not using the new version until we get a chance to investigate what might be wrong. I can't promise any timeframe for a fix.

joelw135 10-04-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31045)
It's unfortunate that Growl has broken compatibility in the latest update. I recommend not using the new version until we get a chance to investigate what might be wrong. I can't promise any timeframe for a fix.

Thanks, at least you will try!

scott721 10-04-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelw135 (Post 31046)
Thanks, at least you will try!

Ditto that - we always appreciate the efforts of Dave & Co.

Unfortunately sticking with the earlier/pref pane version isn't an option for me as so many other alerts broke in Lion (starting to regret leaving Snow Leopard for lots of reasons including this one).

Thankfully SD is so reliable that I can trust it to run and will simply change the final result from "Quit SuperDuper!" to nothing so that I can see the application showing "OK" when I get to my desk in the morning after it runs at 4:00 AM.

joelw135 10-04-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott721 (Post 31047)
Ditto that - we always appreciate the efforts of Dave & Co.

Unfortunately sticking with the earlier/pref pane version isn't an option for me as so many other alerts broke in Lion (starting to regret leaving Snow Leopard for lots of reasons including this one).

Thankfully SD is so reliable that I can trust it to run and will simply change the final result from "Quit SuperDuper!" to nothing so that I can see the application showing "OK" when I get to my desk in the morning after it runs at 4:00 AM.

I depend on the MailMe option of Growl to send an email if SuperDuper did a proper backup or failed for some unknown reason. I have had a drive unplugged and didn't know about it. So Growl is very important to me. Also I can't go back as I tried and it broke the other programs in Growl.

scott721 10-04-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelw135 (Post 31048)
I depend on the MailMe option of Growl to send an email if SuperDuper did a proper backup or failed for some unknown reason. I have had a drive unplugged and didn't know about it. So Growl is very important to me. Also I can't go back as I tried and it broke the other programs in Growl.

I get that. I have a standard screen alert for successful completion but use MailMe if there's a failure. There's no substitute for the flexibility Growl offers, to be sure.

Airbusky 10-05-2011 09:34 AM

Fix for me

I had the same problems with SuperDuper notifications. Deleting the two Growl .plists in Library, Preferences solved the problem on my machine.

com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist

com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist.lockfile

joelw135 10-05-2011 10:16 AM

I fixed mine by replacing the Growl Framework in SuperDuper with the Growl SDK 1.2.2 framework. I now get alerts as I did before.

rwross 10-07-2011 04:49 PM

Joel...

How exactly does one do that?

While I'd still like to here's what you did, Joel, and why, I'd also like to mention that I tried Airbusky's approach and that fixed the problem for me.

joelw135 10-07-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwross (Post 31058)
Joel...

How exactly does one do that?

While I'd still like to here's what you did, Joel, and why, I'd also like to mention that I tried Airbusky's approach and that fixed the problem for me.

Download the 1.2.2 SDK from the Growl Info site right click and select "Show Package Contents" look for the Frameworks folder and copy the Growl Framework to a safe place. Next go to applications folder then right click on the SuperDuper app and perform the same routine as above, but replace the framework with the one from the SDK. So far it works for all manual backups, I am going to test it for scheduled backups tonight.

dnanian 10-07-2011 10:01 PM

Note that scheduled copies use apple events, which you'd think would be compatible in the new version, but may not be...

joelw135 10-07-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31060)
Note that scheduled copies use apple events, which you'd think would be compatible in the new version, but may not be...

You are correct there were no Growl output from the scheduled backups. I hope this isn't a big thing to fix!

dnanian 10-07-2011 11:13 PM

At some level, the question is why did they break it?

joelw135 10-07-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31064)
At some level, the question is why did they break it?

As I understand is that 1.3 is no longer a preference Pane and does not use the Growlhelper.app. And Apple does not allow preference panes in the app store.