Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Reinstall SuperDuper!? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5826)

Nick 10-08-2009 02:02 AM

Reinstall SuperDuper!?

Because of increasing performance problems, I did a complete Erase & Install of my internal drive. I am now in the process of getting everything back in order: I've copied over my documents and am reinstalling my apps, but am avoiding retrieving prefs and other Library items—things which may have been corrupted and contributed to (if not were the source of) my systemic problems.

Should I do a completely new installation of SuperDuper!? Or should I simply copy the following (all I could find on my SD! drive) back to my internal drive:

/Applications/SuperDuper!.app
~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!
~/Library/Preferences/com.blacey.superduper!.plist
~/Library/Caches/com.blacey.SuperDuper!

dnanian 10-08-2009 08:02 AM

I'd just reinstall and re-enter your registration info.

Nick 10-08-2009 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27345)
I'd just reinstall and re-enter your registration info.

Curious: Though a reinstallation would certainly be the "clean" way to go (and likely what I will do), my initial backup would end up being quite lengthy. Wouldn't a Smart Update backup run using the copy on my backup drive (copied back to my internal drive) be significantly quicker—or did the Smart Update "history" get nuked when I did the E & I?

dnanian 10-08-2009 12:00 PM

There is no Smart Update "history": we always compare source and destination volumes "live".

Nick 10-08-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27350)
There is no Smart Update "history": we always compare source and destination volumes "live".

So your suggestion that I do a fresh install is simply to be sure that I don't bring back any corruption?

dnanian 10-08-2009 12:15 PM

It's because there's no real reason not to. You're not gaining anything by restoring what you had.

Nick 10-08-2009 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27354)
It's because there's no real reason not to. You're not gaining anything by restoring what you had.

IOW, there's nothing contained the "old" Library (i.e., ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper!, ~/Library/Preferences/com.blacey.superduper!.plist, and ~/Library/Caches/com.blacey.SuperDuper!) that would make my next SD! backup proceed more quickly?

dnanian 10-08-2009 12:50 PM

Yes, as I've been saying...

Nick 10-08-2009 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27356)
Yes, as I've been saying...

OK (I'm just trying to be sure that I'm not misunderstanding).

As part of my "continuing education" ;) , what info is contained in those files? I see that ~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper! contains info re: the kind of backup I want to perform and the schedule I've set. I assume, then, that the ~/Library/Preferences/com.blacey.superduper!.plist contains other prefs info (i.e., info regarding my source and target volumes,...other stuff?). If I'm correct about that, what info is in ~/Library/Caches/com.blacey.SuperDuper! ?

dnanian 10-08-2009 01:12 PM

~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper! contains settings - source/destination/options/etc for regular & scheduled copies, as well as a place to store copy scripts and a link to the default copy scripts.

The plist is your serial number and 'global' application settings.

The cache is the cache for checking for updates.

Nick 10-08-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 27358)
~/Library/Application Support/SuperDuper! contains settings - source/destination/options/etc for regular & scheduled copies, as well as a place to store copy scripts and a link to the default copy scripts.

The plist is your serial number and 'global' application settings.

The cache is the cache for checking for updates.

Great! Thanks so much, Dave. (As usual, you provide outstanding support—far, far better than any other vendor I've dealt with over the years!)