Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Feature request - turn off Time Machine on clone (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3234)

rmf 11-29-2007 09:02 AM

Feature request - turn off Time Machine on clone

I know you are buried in doing a Leopard compatible version of SD!, but could you consider this for a future feature. In order not to mess up Time Machine, if one boots to a clone to do maintenance on a boot drive, for example, one must quickly turn off Time machine manually (to prevent TM from eating up space by backing up the clone), also, one must turn off .mac synching to avoid losing data, and one must make changes to the drives that spotlight indexes.

So,,,,, would it be possible to make a clone, but with some options, like ---
- Turn off TM in clone
- Turn off mac synch in clone

Since the TM option is an "on/off" switch in a system preference would this be difficult?

Just a thought.

dnanian 11-29-2007 09:24 AM

It's something we'll consider for the future, but I haven't had either problem... have you set Time Machine up to ignore your copy?

rmf 11-29-2007 01:46 PM

Time machine is set to ignore the clone. But if you boot from the clone, time machine will be on and will copy to the time machine designated disk -- it will do a complete copy of something, eating space on the time machine disk unnecessarily. If there were an option in Superduper to turn off time machine on the clone, one could boot from the clone without having to manually turn off time machine after booting. One wants a copy of one's boot drive only in time machine presumably. Perhaps this is also a time machine issue.

This issue came up with me because of a weird bug in x.5 where if one is using a software raid mirror as boot, on a scheduled shutdown and restart the mirror won't be recognized, os X.5 boots to the clone. The machine was unattended when this happened to me and with time machine on, it took 150 gig of my time machine drive by making a complete fresh copy of something (don't know if it was the clone or the original boot). Had to start time machine over again from scratch. BTW this os x.5 bug doesn't occur if you do a manual restart, only on a scheduled restart after a shutdown.

dnanian 11-29-2007 01:53 PM

That's weird. But it seems like a Time Machine bug, don't you think?

rmf 11-29-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 15815)
That's weird. But it seems like a Time Machine bug, don't you think?

2 bugs actually. An os x.5 bug that won't boot to a mirror only on scheduled restart. Bug 2 is a time machine bug that copies an entire disk (labeled clone) when it is the boot disk even though "clone" is excluded in time machine from the disk from which it was made. For some reason backup thinks that "clone" is "macintosh hd". Of course, this could also be a bug in the SD substitute I am using for now - wouldn't rule that out either.

Methinks it possible though that someone based in a state that starts with "C" and in a city starting with "C" at an "infinite" address put out a cake that wasn't wholly baked.

dnanian 11-29-2007 02:40 PM

It could be, if it changes the UUID of the drive it's copying to, yes, since the exclusions are done by UUID.

Note that, if you figure out how to accomplish this, you can use an "after copy" shell script to achieve your goal (and others similar things as well)...

rmf 11-29-2007 05:38 PM

But that's why you get the big bucks and why folks like us rely on you.

dnanian 11-29-2007 05:52 PM

Well... no. Apple gets the big bucks, which is why this stuff should work. :)