Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Scheduled back-up issue with Lacie d2 (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021)

fdwlaw 02-01-2006 09:27 AM

Scheduled back-up issue with Lacie d2

Twice now my scheduled back-up failed in the last 5 days. (I sent the log file to SuperDuper this morning).

After SD reported that it could not backup I went into disk utility and attempted to repair the disk, thinking I was having an issue with the Lacie d2. When I attempted to repair the disk "it failed to unmount", so I attempted to un-mount the drive and could not. I restarted my iMacG5 and repaired the disk with-out errors reported. I was also able to un-mount the drive and then re-mount it.

So I ran SD again (manually) and everything backed up fine, BTW it took over 6 minutes.

The only thing I can think of is that's changed are 2 things.
1. I installed XCODE.
2. I changed the internal HD icon to a custom one (which in turn changed the cloned copy. The last thing I did this morning AFTER having the problems and repairing the disk I changed the internal HD icon back to the normal one.

Any thoughts?

dnanian 02-01-2006 10:17 AM

It sounds like the drive was having trouble, as I suggested in the response to your support email. Do you have anything else attached to FireWire, like an iSight or iPod?

fdwlaw 02-01-2006 10:32 AM

I do have iSight (normally powered OFF) and 2 other external FW HD's connected via a Powered FW Hub. The Lacie d2 is connected directly to the back of the iMac FW port.

I've had this configuration (set-up) for quite a while without any problems.

P.S. Sorry for the cross email discussion thingy, I'll post my response here instead of email.

Thanks,

dnanian 02-01-2006 10:55 AM

As far as I know, if the iSight is plugged in, it's powered on, whether or not the shutter is closed, so there's no such thing as "powered off".

If we're moving here, rather than to support, what I said to this message originally was:

It's hard to say for sure, but it certainly seems that something went awry with your FireWire bus when this occurred. iSights, for example, are well known for causing bus resets and voltage fluctuations, which can cause errors during backups. Usually, isolating them on their own hub helps, but there's no guarantee.

In general, when you see this kind of thing, I'd shut everything OFF (drives/hub) and restart. That will often fix things up... but there's little else that can be done until every device and software subsystem is bug free! :)

fdwlaw 02-01-2006 11:06 AM

Thanks for your help, you've validated my suspecion that the iMac FW bus is having problems. I've also noticed other little things going on when I open "disk utility"....like the FW drives in different order then that last time opened.

dnanian 02-01-2006 11:07 AM

Well, boot-to-boot there's no real "order guarantee" for FireWire (or even internal) drives: it kind of depends on what responds first...

fdwlaw 02-01-2006 11:19 AM

Hu!!! For as long as I can remember the drives have always been in order even if I un-mount and disconnect then re-connect. They have always gone back in the order they were in.

As my suspicions were this morning I ran TTP4 and tested the FW ports and all the other(s) and no problems were reported. But I also know that one pass dosen't alway revel problems. This afternoon I plan to run TTP4 in "loop" for a few hours to see if anything shows up.

I will follow your suggestion, and disconnect iSight (few weeks) and see what happens.