Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   bootable backup on a Master boot partition scheme (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5311)

jean 06-07-2009 03:33 PM

bootable backup on a Master boot partition scheme

Hello superduper users,

i'd like to partition my external hard drive so one partition can be used as a bootable backup and the other be an storage area for mac, linux and windows computers.

What's the partitioning scheme i should use on that external drive?

Can I make a Mac bootable partition if i have chosen the "Master Boot Record" partition scheme option(in Disk utility). If it's not going to be possible to boot from that partition, is it still a usefull copy of the mac's system - so that in the event of a disaster i could temporarily copy that backup onto another FW drive and bot from it.

I see disk utility also has an "GUID partition table" scheme option, which is described as required to boot from for an intel mac, and it allows the partition menu to offer Unix and MS-Dos formating, so is this the better option?

Thanx for guiding me i my first step to a safer world!!

macbook 2.16ghz intel core duo- 10.4.11
seagate barracuda 500Gb 7200.12
macally gs350sua enclosure

dnanian 06-07-2009 04:12 PM

It's not possible to boot from it. You can make the copy, of course, as long as it's properly formatted.

jean 06-07-2009 04:25 PM

update

oh, i was just editing my questions.
Hello superduper users,

I see disk utility also has an "GUID partition table" scheme option, which is described as required to boot from for an intel mac, and it allows the partition menu to offer Unix and MS-Dos formating, so is this the better option?

Thanx for guiding me i my first step to a safer world!!

macbook 2.16ghz intel core duo- 10.4.11
seagate barracuda 500Gb 7200.12
macally gs350sua enclosure

dnanian 06-07-2009 04:42 PM

No, we can't back up to a non-HFS+ volume... honestly, I think you'd be a lot better off having two separate drives, but it's up to you.

sjk 06-07-2009 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jean (Post 25034)
I see disk utility also has an "GUID partition table" scheme option, which is described as required to boot from for an intel mac

Some (all?) Intel Macs can boot 10.5 (and maybe at least 10.4.11) from volumes on APM (Apple Partition Map) drives, but can't install to them. My installing Intel-bootable 10.5 on APM post describes a recent personal example.

jean 06-08-2009 01:58 PM

clarification:
i wasn't trying to backup onto a dos formated volume, just partitioned the hard drive to have a mac and a dos partition, and wondered what was the best method or if there was any pitfalls to avoid.

So i tried it and it works:
SD! backup onto the mac partition of an GPT formatted drive with 2 partition - a mac partition and a dos partition- was bootable for my macbook 2.16ghz intel core duo(OS 10.4.11).

Goldengoose7 06-08-2009 02:42 PM

I have my drives set up with bootable partitions along with other partitions I use for storage and Time Machine drives.

Just format the entire drive for the type of Mac you have...

GUID for Intel

Apple Partition Map for PPC

You can't have a bootable for both types of machines on the same drive though. If you have a mix of machines, then you will have to choose which type you want to have as a bootable drive, either GUID or Apple Partition Map.

You also won't be able to have a Dos formatted partition since as I said above, the entire drive needs to be formatted into one of the two listed above. Disc Utility does not provide for multiple formats within the partition map.

sjk 06-08-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldengoose7 (Post 25049)
You can't have a bootable for both types of machines on the same drive though.

Yes you can, as explained in my previous post!