Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Question About SDuper For Me (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2276)

Dunnie 04-08-2007 01:05 PM

Question About SDuper For Me

I need to backup a work on my internal data raid to an external hard drive. Does Super Duper allow for this ? Or does it just backup the system drive ?

Thanks

Michael

kurtradtke 04-08-2007 04:05 PM

Backup from an External source?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunnie (Post 11638)
I need to backup a work on my internal data raid to an external hard drive. Does Super Duper allow for this ? Or does it just backup the system drive ?

Thanks

Michael

Michael,

FYI - I am new to SuperDuper! but I have been beating it half-to-death for two weeks; bought the license a week ago. Since you had not gotten any responses as of the time I started this one, here's a shot at it.

What you're after isn't clear to me. :confused: Do you want to know if you can backup from an external RAID HD, or are you asking if you can backup a limited number of files/folders from the external RAID? I'm going to take a WAG that you are asking whether you can backup data from HDs, especialy externally mounted, other than your System/Boot drive. I will also assume that this external drive is directly connected to your Mac, not a network-connected drive.

You can answer this by doing the following:
- mount the external drive you want to backup from (this wil be the Copy volume
- start SuperDuper!
- click open the Copy menu at the upper left of your SuperDuper! window
- locate your external drive in this menu - if you can see it here, you can backup any or all of it with SuperDuper! (You may need scripting to

I now do scheduled backups to a network drive (a LaCie 350 connected to my Airport Extreme-n) and although it's a bit slow, all is working fine INCLUDING scheduling wherein SuperDuper! finds and mounts my external HD when it starts the backup.

There's my stab at it - I hopeyou aren't bleeding too badly!

Kurt

dnanian 04-08-2007 04:12 PM

We can back up any local drive formatted as HFS+, so this should work just fine.

Dunnie 04-08-2007 11:51 PM

Ok ... some clarification

What I want to know to do is backup selected directories from my raid to my external hard disk.

I do not want a full disk backup for this data.

Then can I backup my system drive to the same external disk ? Does the external disk need to be partitioned for this ? Or does super duper do something else ?

I'm really sorry if this is confusing ... I just dont see anywhere to select folders to backup. I am not a scripter and I am new to the mac so .... help !

Thanks Again

Michael

dnanian 04-09-2007 07:28 AM

Here's a thread that shows how to just copy one or two folders. But you should definitely partition the drive if you plan to do this and back up another volume to the same drive.