Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Can SuperDuper periodically backup MBP HD and 3 FW Lacie HDs to one Drobo? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4807)

Hoek 12-10-2008 06:52 AM

Can SuperDuper periodically backup MBP HD and 3 FW Lacie HDs to one Drobo?

Hi

I recently had one of my external Lacie hard-drives fail and now I have learnt the hard way that I need to back-up all of my data. I have a MacBook Pro (320GB internal HD) and three firewire Lacie drives (250, 320, 320 GB), each with only one partition. I would like to back up everything, say, once a week, giving a bootable backup of the MPB HD and copies of the 3 Lacies. I know nothing about RAID, but would like the backup to be backedup, so the Drobo seemed right.

When I upgraded my internal MBP HD and made a bootable copy, I am certain that nothing else was allowed in the volume. Does that mean I need to partition the Drobo? Do I need a partition for each drive, or one for the MBP and one for all of the three Lacies? Or am I going in the wrong direction as I have a suspicion that Drobo cannot be partitioned?

I am on Tiger, so don't have Time Machine, but was impressed with SuperDuper for the MBP HD upgrade and want to stick with it. I'm assuming SuperDuper will be able to work out which files have changed since the last backup and only update those.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

cheers hoek

dnanian 12-10-2008 08:39 AM

Yes, you need to partition the drobo into at least four (internal + 3FW) partitions, but more likely five if you want to do another. And then you back up each source to its corresponding destination. Note that you can schedule all of them.

Hoek 12-10-2008 08:46 AM

Thanks, Dave. I was hoping that I could have two partitions: one for the bootable MBP HD, and one with a folder for each Lacie. That way I could easily add another folder if I get another Lacie drive that would need backing up. If they all need a partition, I don't think it's very future-proof - is it? Only the MBP partition needs to be bootable.

cheers h

dnanian 12-10-2008 08:52 AM

If you want you can use sparse images for each of the other drives.

Hoek 12-10-2008 10:30 AM

Thanks again, Dave.

One last question. Does the full version of SuperDuper only backup files that have changed since the last backup?

cheers h

dnanian 12-10-2008 04:19 PM

Yes, Smart Update does that.

davep 12-20-2008 11:58 AM

More Drobo

So Dave -- If you had a Drobo with two 500GB drives and a couple of LaCie Quadra 500GB drives, would you use the Drobo as your boot drive or use one of the LaCie drives as a boot drive and do a SuperDuper! backup to the Drobo?

Thanks!

Dave P.

dnanian 12-20-2008 12:15 PM

I'd probably use the Drobo as the backup, since it's not designed for speed.

davep 01-08-2009 01:49 PM

Drobo again

I didn't read your answer until today and have already set up the Drobo as my startup volume. It's formatted as a 2TB logical volume but right now it holds 2 physical 1TB SATA drives. Finder's Get Info says the capacity is 2TB, with 1.77TB available and 238.25GB used.

Now I want to back up the Drobo with SuperDuper! Can I specify the Drobo as the source and one of my external LaCie 500GB Quadra drives as the destination?

Thanks, Dave.

Dave P.

dnanian 01-08-2009 05:25 PM

Sure; I don't see why not.

davep 01-14-2009 01:35 AM

Just to provide a conclusion here... Drobo support has informed me that the Drobo should not be used as a startup drive. That configuration is totally not supported! It was working for me but I was told that when I update the Drobo with new firmware or update Mac OS X then I will run into problems.

So I used SuperDuper! to clone the Drobo back to my LaCie Quadra and I'll be using the LaCie as my startup drive and backing it up to an identical LaCie with SuperDuper!

Sigi 01-27-2009 10:12 AM

Hi,

I use the Drobo as a bootable backup for an imac and it works perfectly. I am on Leopard.

Sigiu