Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Super Duper Scheduled Backups don't start when I am not logged in (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2016)

tom.healey 01-17-2007 08:26 AM

Super Duper Scheduled Backups don't start when I am not logged in

My schedules Backups on SD 2.1.3 are failing. I have no log because the job never gets run. I have no entry in that last copied on column. I an running 10.4.8 on an Intel iMac. I have set the iMAc to wakeup 1 min before the scheduled backup. I have spotlight privacy setting to not search the backup drive. The job did run until 1/5/07 and hasn't successfully run since then. I am not requiring a password to copy files. I have the permissions fixed on the Mac HD. I can successfully copy when I run a job manually. I have a licensed copy of SD. What else can I tell ya? Help please.
Tom

dnanian 01-17-2007 10:39 AM

As documented in the Scheduling section of the User's Guide, Tom, we won't run if you're not logged in...

tom.healey 01-17-2007 11:53 AM

So for now I will forget that it _appeared_ to work unattended for a week or so. So how do I run unattended backups? That is my real issue.
Thanks,
Tom

dnanian 01-17-2007 12:22 PM

You should just be able to follow the instructions in the Scheduling section of the User's Guide: there's no real trick other than to observe the various restrictions.

To test, you can set it to run a few minutes from "now" and make sure it does...

tom.healey 01-17-2007 12:36 PM

I am not trying to make the product something its not

>To test, you can set it to run a few minutes from "now" and make sure it does...

That works as expected.

But what I want is to have my computer @ 12:30 am run a backup job.

The conditions are this:
1) The machine will be asleep ( I can solve that by waking it up @ 12:29)
2) I could be logged in but the screen is locked or
3) No one could be logged in or
4) Someone else could be logged in

Does SD or some ancillary product or OS tool offer me a way to handle what I consider a deficiency in the SD scheduling mechanism. (Am I being unreasonable here?)

I appreciate your quick turn around with answers.

Thanks in advance,
Tom

dnanian 01-17-2007 12:49 PM

At present, Tom, scheduling has the restrictions listed in the User's Guide -- these aren't things we're trying to hide, they're known limitations.

If someone else is logged in, you can schedule as that person as well and the backup will run. But, if you're not logged in, there's no good workaround for you at present. (You could enable the root user and schedule as that user as well, but that's pretty advanced and probably not a good idea.)

tom.healey 01-17-2007 01:03 PM

OK, thanks. I didn't accuse you of hiding anything. I read the review on some guys blog. Tried out the software. Backup worked fine. I knew I wanted to schedule stuff so I bought a license. Scheduling seemed to work in the scenario I previously described. (Although I must have been mistaken) I got this far without reading the docs. All a testament to the ease of use of the product. So I guess the only thing I would say is add a warning when creating the job for those of us who don't read manuals to remind us that we must be logged in or at least log this error when the job fails.
Thanks,
Tom

dnanian 01-17-2007 01:05 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, Tom!