Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Multiple Users on One Mac (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190)

Dunkin' 01-09-2005 03:02 PM

Multiple Users on One Mac

Thanks for a great application.

My wife and I share an iBook that has netTunes client installed. My PowerMac G4 is our netTunes server.

I installed the netTunes client using my wife's admin account and it works correctly when I am logged into her account. When I log into my account (also an admin account), netTunes client does not show the Server window. command-k does not show a window at all and of course there is no connecting to anything.

Is it possible to have netTunes client to be usable from more than one user account on the same machine? Not at the same time. Just one user account at a time but have it work correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Dunkin' :confused:

dnanian 01-09-2005 03:58 PM

I can't think of any reason why things wouldn't work on multiple accounts, Dunkin': the client is just an application, and it works fine here under all accounts.

Is there something different about your account and your Wife's that might explain this? Did you use fast user switching rather than log out/in, leaving it running on the other user?

jeffboly 01-24-2005 12:45 AM

netTunes server uses Multiple Users

Hi,

I have a similar problem. My netTunes server is the family iMac that has multiple user accounts and Fast User Switching enabled. I've noticed in demoing netTunes that it only works if I leave the user with the iTunes library as the active user.

Is there a workaround, or can this be handled by launchTunes?

If not, my wishlist feature would be to somehow force a switch to the correct user (launchTunes?) before bringing up the netTunes window. Would be happy to type the password to preserve Fast User Switching security.

Everything was also sluggish. The iMac netTunes server is a G4 1 GHz 768 MB and the client is a 1.25 GHz, 1 GB PowerBook. Network is an Airport Express running in 802.11G only mode. Both computers have Airport Extreme cards. Is there a way to speed things up?

Other than that, it works pretty well. Certainly the best solution I've seen to this problem thus far. It has always bugged me that Apple has not addressed this very well, and they did not address multiple users sharing applications like iPhoto and iTunes. I've modified file permissions, moved the libraries etc. to get around this, but it's not very elegant. Apple should realize that many families will want to keep all their photos and music in one central place, but allow multiple users to access this central location. In short, iTunes is not like email in that everyone needs their own separate mailbox.

Thanks for your effots. I'll probably register soon, when is the next version due out?

dnanian 01-24-2005 09:47 AM

Hi, Jeff --

At present, there's no real workaround for the Fast User Switching issue. I designed netTunes before FUS was available, and getting it to work in this kind of situation is quite difficult: I'd have to switch it so that it's at the front when accessed, and it'd have to stay that way. There are basically so many limitations involved that it seemed best to let Apple fix the problems with FUS (the documented calls I use to get the image for the application don't properly handle FUS offscreen windows), rather than to try to put in kludgy workarounds for the behavior...

Regarding sluggishness -- there are some settings in Preferences that let you adjust the quality of the display, which might make a difference. A smaller iTunes window is also faster to send across the wire than a larger one. But -- it's hard to know what you're calling "sluggish" -- it's definitely going to be slower than running locally, as there's a lot of stuff going on...

It's hard to say when the next version is coming -- there are a few things planned, but netTunes is relatively mature... but it'll be a free update when it does get released, so don't hold back for that reason!

jeffboly 01-24-2005 07:30 PM

Thanks Dave.

When I say sluggish, I mean a couple seconds delay after each click. I will try to reduce the Window size and test it that way.

As for FUS, yeah, I pretty much figured that was an Apple thing, but thought you might have an API call to invoke the switch remotely. Apple really does need to spend some time on the situation where you have multiple accounts accessing key shared data like Music, Photos and Video and in the process, that would lend it self to controlling iTunes from any account, which would then lend itself to netTunes.

Thanks again for the reply. I'll continue my testing!
-Jeff

dnanian 01-24-2005 07:58 PM

It definitely should not take a couple of seconds after each click, Jess. My original 'test harness' was an 800Mhz iMac G4, with non-extreme airport, and things went much faster.

Is it possible that the machine is CPU starved?

Dunkin' 02-07-2005 08:43 AM

Just a note to let you know I have netTunes with multiple users on one iBook working correctly now.

I never got 2.1 working for any account other than the admin.

I just updated to 2.1.1 and after making certain server and client were all 2.1.1 everything is fine.

Multiple downloads and installs of 2.1 never did work for non admin accounts on the iBook. Nutty.

Thanks again for netTunes and LaunchTunes - great apps.