Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Trying to clone a Leopard HD via USB but fails constantly (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4691)

iLLuMiNaTiCa 10-22-2008 06:26 AM

Trying to clone a Leopard HD via USB but fails constantly

Hi

Been trying to clone this Leopard OS off my MBP 17"., i get this error:

FAILED TO COPY FILES FROM MACINTOSH HD to MACINTOSH HD

| 11:23:32 PM | Error | ditto: /Volumes/MACINTOSH HD 2/Users/****/Documents/ Office Docs/Organizer BUs/iCal:AddressBK/iCal 2008-10-19.icbu/Calendars/7AB7197F-4AEF-41F5-A23A-4C99D374E7E1.calendar/Events/92DCE7B0-BB2F-43D9-98B4-E5F41F6A6AC5.ics: Input/output error

dnanian 10-22-2008 12:18 PM

I don't really have enough information here -- send your log in with "Send to shirt pocket", would you?

Thanks!

iLLuMiNaTiCa 10-22-2008 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 22062)
I don't really have enough information here -- send your log in with "Send to shirt pocket", would you?

Thanks!

I am sorry, i do not understand, you want my log in for?

dnanian 10-22-2008 02:44 PM

No -- I want you to send in your SuperDuper! log, not your login. :)

Click the "Send to shirt locket" button in the log window.

iLLuMiNaTiCa 10-22-2008 03:01 PM

I see nothing that says *"Send to shirt Pocket" , *is it the PC version?

I even searched the help files and found no info about it.

dnanian 10-22-2008 03:06 PM

There is no PC version. This is in the log window -- click "View Log..." (or "Show Log..."), then at the bottom there's a "Send to shirt pocket" button.

iLLuMiNaTiCa 10-23-2008 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 22075)
There is no PC version. This is in the log window -- click "View Log..." (or "Show Log..."), then at the bottom there's a "Send to shirt pocket" button.

i found it, it seems to be working now although i just checked (8 hours later) the drive is making strange sounds,

I should of mentioned that its a partition of another drive, if you think i can clone my Leopard system like this or not let me know.

dnanian 10-23-2008 07:19 AM

I just don't have enough information to say.

iLLuMiNaTiCa 10-23-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 22085)
I just don't have enough information to say.

I am using a mobile phone to the net, traveling here.,
I tried to upload a txt file of the log and even email, but failed twice , 180k s too much for my phone via BT to internet,

All i can say is that there where tons of errors like this:
| 10:27:45 PM | Info | WARNING: *Caught I/O exception(5): Input/output error

And something did happen to the drive, i get this when i run disk tools:
Verify and Repair volume “MacBook Pro”
Invalid node structure
Volume check failed.

Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

dnanian 10-23-2008 01:04 PM

OK, so that would indicate you have some pretty bad damage on the volume that you're repairing...

iLLuMiNaTiCa 10-24-2008 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 22093)
OK, so that would indicate you have some pretty bad damage on the volume that you're repairing...

yes it seems, it is a 2 partition drive, but i erased it and ran disk utilities and it was fine, after that cloned the boot drive again and the same exact thing happens, the drive says failed, but if i erase it again it will say its fine, so its the OS drive i am cloning that may be bad?

cheers

dnanian 10-24-2008 02:58 PM

No, your 'disk structure' wouldn't be copied -- the destination (the one you're repairing) is the one that's corrupting. Might be a communication problem with the drive... bad cable, bad drive...

iLLuMiNaTiCa 10-24-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 22101)
No, your 'disk structure' wouldn't be copied -- the destination (the one you're repairing) is the one that's corrupting. Might be a communication problem with the drive... bad cable, bad drive...

I just erased it with Disk Utilities again, and again after running verify and repair on the volume it shows that it appears ok., are you suggesting that Apple disk utilities is not trustworthy? :) thanks

dnanian 10-24-2008 09:06 PM

No, I'm not saying that at all. Erasing the drive would totally clear the folder structure...

TMay 10-25-2008 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLLuMiNaTiCa (Post 22099)
yes it seems, it is a 2 partition drive, but i erased it and ran disk utilities and it was fine......

cheers

ILL

When you say you "erased it and ran disk utilities," does "it" refer to the entire hard DISK or just to the one volume (partition) you are trying to clone to?

If you are only erasing the one PARTITION's contents, then you are leaving the partitioning scheme on the DISK intact, just as it was. If that is what you are doing, you might try erasing the entire DISK and then repartitioning, making sure you are using the appropriate partitioning scheme.

If you have already done that, then ?????