Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Growl 1.3 - no alerts (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6539)

scott721 10-04-2011 09:42 AM

Growl 1.3 - no alerts

Growl has been upgraded to a full-fledged application sold ($1.99 and well worth it, in my opinion) in the Mac's App Store. The old pref pane is now gone - removal is required as part of the installation process - and the new application has several more features.

Sadly, though, the new version does not appear to be compatible with the latest version of SD. It would be very much appreciated if the good folks at Shirt Pocket could make the appropriate changes to SD so that Growl 1.3 would function with it.

SD, it should be said, is my #1 indispensable application - no matter how much convenience is offered by others the security of knowing that I've got a complete, accurate, usable backup available at any time makes it the only aftermarket application that I truly wouldn't live without. Thanks, as always, for the great work.

joelw135 10-04-2011 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott721 (Post 31043)
Growl has been upgraded to a full-fledged application sold ($1.99 and well worth it, in my opinion) in the Mac's App Store. The old pref pane is now gone - removal is required as part of the installation process - and the new application has several more features.

Sadly, though, the new version does not appear to be compatible with the latest version of SD. It would be very much appreciated if the good folks at Shirt Pocket could make the appropriate changes to SD so that Growl 1.3 would function with it.

SD, it should be said, is my #1 indispensable application - no matter how much convenience is offered by others the security of knowing that I've got a complete, accurate, usable backup available at any time makes it the only aftermarket application that I truly wouldn't live without. Thanks, as always, for the great work.

I agree I have the same problem.

dnanian 10-04-2011 05:21 PM

It's unfortunate that Growl has broken compatibility in the latest update. I recommend not using the new version until we get a chance to investigate what might be wrong. I can't promise any timeframe for a fix.

joelw135 10-04-2011 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31045)
It's unfortunate that Growl has broken compatibility in the latest update. I recommend not using the new version until we get a chance to investigate what might be wrong. I can't promise any timeframe for a fix.

Thanks, at least you will try!

scott721 10-04-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelw135 (Post 31046)
Thanks, at least you will try!

Ditto that - we always appreciate the efforts of Dave & Co.

Unfortunately sticking with the earlier/pref pane version isn't an option for me as so many other alerts broke in Lion (starting to regret leaving Snow Leopard for lots of reasons including this one).

Thankfully SD is so reliable that I can trust it to run and will simply change the final result from "Quit SuperDuper!" to nothing so that I can see the application showing "OK" when I get to my desk in the morning after it runs at 4:00 AM.

joelw135 10-04-2011 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott721 (Post 31047)
Ditto that - we always appreciate the efforts of Dave & Co.

Unfortunately sticking with the earlier/pref pane version isn't an option for me as so many other alerts broke in Lion (starting to regret leaving Snow Leopard for lots of reasons including this one).

Thankfully SD is so reliable that I can trust it to run and will simply change the final result from "Quit SuperDuper!" to nothing so that I can see the application showing "OK" when I get to my desk in the morning after it runs at 4:00 AM.

I depend on the MailMe option of Growl to send an email if SuperDuper did a proper backup or failed for some unknown reason. I have had a drive unplugged and didn't know about it. So Growl is very important to me. Also I can't go back as I tried and it broke the other programs in Growl.

scott721 10-04-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelw135 (Post 31048)
I depend on the MailMe option of Growl to send an email if SuperDuper did a proper backup or failed for some unknown reason. I have had a drive unplugged and didn't know about it. So Growl is very important to me. Also I can't go back as I tried and it broke the other programs in Growl.

I get that. I have a standard screen alert for successful completion but use MailMe if there's a failure. There's no substitute for the flexibility Growl offers, to be sure.

Airbusky 10-05-2011 09:34 AM

Fix for me

I had the same problems with SuperDuper notifications. Deleting the two Growl .plists in Library, Preferences solved the problem on my machine.

com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist

com.Growl.GrowlHelperApp.plist.lockfile

joelw135 10-05-2011 10:16 AM

I fixed mine by replacing the Growl Framework in SuperDuper with the Growl SDK 1.2.2 framework. I now get alerts as I did before.

rwross 10-07-2011 04:49 PM

Joel...

How exactly does one do that?

While I'd still like to here's what you did, Joel, and why, I'd also like to mention that I tried Airbusky's approach and that fixed the problem for me.

joelw135 10-07-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwross (Post 31058)
Joel...

How exactly does one do that?

While I'd still like to here's what you did, Joel, and why, I'd also like to mention that I tried Airbusky's approach and that fixed the problem for me.

Download the 1.2.2 SDK from the Growl Info site right click and select "Show Package Contents" look for the Frameworks folder and copy the Growl Framework to a safe place. Next go to applications folder then right click on the SuperDuper app and perform the same routine as above, but replace the framework with the one from the SDK. So far it works for all manual backups, I am going to test it for scheduled backups tonight.

dnanian 10-07-2011 10:01 PM

Note that scheduled copies use apple events, which you'd think would be compatible in the new version, but may not be...

joelw135 10-07-2011 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31060)
Note that scheduled copies use apple events, which you'd think would be compatible in the new version, but may not be...

You are correct there were no Growl output from the scheduled backups. I hope this isn't a big thing to fix!

dnanian 10-07-2011 11:13 PM

At some level, the question is why did they break it?

joelw135 10-07-2011 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31064)

As I understand is that 1.3 is no longer a preference Pane and does not use the Growlhelper.app. And Apple does not allow preference panes in the app store.

dnanian 10-08-2011 08:07 AM

Yes, but the preference pane actually wasn't what does the notification - it's just the UI. The "main application" was the Growl Helper app, launched by the preference pane.

joelw135 10-08-2011 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31068)
Yes, but the preference pane actually wasn't what does the notification - it's just the UI. The "main application" was the Growl Helper app, launched by the preference pane.

I removed the two files in Library, but I doubt that will help for scheduled alerts. Does it work for you with scheduled backups?

dnanian 10-08-2011 09:08 AM

I haven't installed it yet...

rwross 10-17-2011 10:09 AM

So, this is a bummer...

Let me make sure I understand the situation properly, because after initially deleting the plist files and letting Growl 1.3 recreate them, I get SuperDuper! notifications for backups I manually initiate, even if I manually initiate via the scheduled window.

I do NOT get any notifications for automatic updates that, I assume, are some sort of CRON job.

1) Is that what everyone else is experiencing and, Dave, what you'd expect given what you know now of the situation?

2) Whose issue is this to fix? SuperDuper? Growl? or Apple? If, Apple, I'd say we are screwed 'cause in my experience, this just isn't something that will even take the time to understand, let alone alter their user-experience to accommodate.

So...given that...any suggestions?

Dave, any option of adding a special and optional notification triggered by SD for Growl to see after a scheduled completion or fail.

In all honesty, this isn't a small thing for me. We recently corresponded via e-mail (thanks for that!!) because I had some failed SD backups that actually warned me of a failing hard drive before SMART saw any issues. The only reason I was clued in to that happening was because there was a Growl notification sitting on my desktop.

So, for me, it's a critical feature and any info on how to get it back would be most appreciated ;-)

joelw135 10-17-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwross (Post 31092)
So, this is a bummer...

Let me make sure I understand the situation properly, because after initially deleting the plist files and letting Growl 1.3 recreate them, I get SuperDuper! notifications for backups I manually initiate, even if I manually initiate via the scheduled window.

I do NOT get any notifications for automatic updates that, I assume, are some sort of CRON job.

1) Is that what everyone else is experiencing and, Dave, what you'd expect given what you know now of the situation?

2) Whose issue is this to fix? SuperDuper? Growl? or Apple? If, Apple, I'd say we are screwed 'cause in my experience, this just isn't something that will even take the time to understand, let alone alter their user-experience to accommodate.

So...given that...any suggestions?

Dave, any option of adding a special and optional notification triggered by SD for Growl to see after a scheduled completion or fail.

In all honesty, this isn't a small thing for me. We recently corresponded via e-mail (thanks for that!!) because I had some failed SD backups that actually warned me of a failing hard drive before SMART saw any issues. The only reason I was clued in to that happening was because there was a Growl notification sitting on my desktop.

So, for me, it's a critical feature and any info on how to get it back would be most appreciated ;-)

I submitted a ticket for this, but have not gotten a response yet. Yes manual backups get a Growl alert, but scheduled backups do not. For me this is a huge problem as I depend on the MailMe alert when out.

dnanian 10-17-2011 05:00 PM

I'm sorry that Growl broke compatibility. Reinstalling the older version might be a reasonable thing to do if this is critical functionality for you.

As I said, we're working on it. But I'm not likely to release an update *just* to fix Growl - any needed changes will be in the next update (no date given).

Note, too - our stuff has to support 10.4.11 and later. If Growl has caused themselves to break with older versions, we won't exclude Tiger users from a minor update just to support Growl's new release... in my opinion, their changes broke compatibility (we used their own 'best practices' to support Growl in the first place), and that's not a good enough reason to stop supporting our 10.4 users...

Finally, because they moved to the Mac App Store, that also means that they'll be sandboxed in the future. This may make it *impossible* for us to support Growl when they get fully locked down.

rwross 11-12-2011 12:34 AM

Hi Dave...

I heard back from Growl today. They indicated that they had sent you recommended modifications to SuperDuper! that would render it usable with Growl 1.3.1 again.

Do you think you'll be releasing a patch soon?

dnanian 11-12-2011 09:34 AM

I don't know when the next version is going to be released, sorry... but we're looking at the workaround they provided for the compatibility they broke in the Mac App Store version.

rwross 11-13-2011 03:05 PM

Dave...I understand...

How about this as an alternative...

After you take a look at their workaround, which I assume is likely some kind of scripting, xml, or plist modification, and you've confirmed that it will do no harm, could you make it available as an optional download for those users who would like to patch their current version of SD? Perhaps, just by adding a d/l link to the patch file(s) in this thread.

If it's a file that's part of the .app package and needs to be swapped out, those who are comfortable doing so, could just pop open the app contents and make the change themselves. That way, you aren't troubled with another release and those who are affected by this can patch their SD knowing you've at least looked at the workaround to determine its validity.

That work?

pax,
rwr

dnanian 11-13-2011 03:32 PM

It's something I'll consider.

rwross 11-29-2011 02:54 PM

Hi Dave...

Any more thoughts on this? Did you have a chance to review what the Growl team sent over?

Much thanks!!

take care,
rwr

dnanian 11-29-2011 04:30 PM

Working on it. We'll likely be unable to support non-scheduled notifications either in 10.4 or recent Growl due to their changes.

rwross 11-29-2011 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31179)
Working on it. We'll likely be unable to support non-scheduled notifications either in 10.4 or recent Growl due to their changes.

Thanks for the quick response.

Well, the news could be far worse. From my perspective, getting notifications back for scheduled backups is far more important than that of non-scheduled backups.

My scheduled backups run in the middle of the night and Growl is the only way I know if they succeeded without checking the SD logs. If I manually initiate one, SD remains open so I can easily check back to see if it was successful.

In short...this is great news...Thanks!!

My last question clearly comes under the heading of "no good deed goes unpunished," Any ideas on when you might have this out?

Thanks again...
rwr

dnanian 11-29-2011 06:36 PM

I don't provide release dates unless we're done and really scheduled for release.

rwross 01-23-2012 06:08 PM

Hi Dave,

Been a couple of months since I last checked in on this.

Have you been able to apply the fix provided by Growl, and if it worked, are you comfortable releasing it to folks?

If it didn't work, any thoughts on how/if notification support could be either restored via Growl or just provided by a SD specific option to display a persistent dialogue box indicating success/failure of a scheduled backup?

Thanks!

take care,
rwr

dnanian 01-23-2012 06:11 PM

We are not yet ready to release the next update. If you install the older version of Growl, of course, you will regain notification support.

Sorry for the delay, but as I mentioned before, we're working on an update and Growl isn't significant enough to force out a release for...

rwross 03-24-2012 12:16 PM

Hi Dave...

Just checking in after a couple months to see there's any progress here, either officially, or by the community in developing a workaround. Unfortunately, reverting to the non App store version of Growl isn't an option for me for other reasons :-(

As always...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dnanian 03-24-2012 04:15 PM

Not from us yet. The Growl guys are distributing something on their forums...

rwross 03-24-2012 09:01 PM

Thanks Dave...

Do you or anyone else in the forum have a link to where the Growl guys are talking about this. I checked out their site and their google forums but couldn't find anything more recent than November.

I've sent them another e-mail as well and will be happy to post back here what I find if I uncover anything before someone else...

ajmaggs 04-12-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwross (Post 31493)
Do you or anyone else in the forum have a link to where the Growl guys are talking about this. I checked out their site and their google forums but couldn't find anything more recent than November.

I've found a thread from February where one of the Growl devs is claiming that a fix was sent to Shirt Pocket some time ago, so it seems that the ball in their court.

Whilst we're waiting, I have come up with a partial workaround, by calling a growl notification via an Applescript at the end of the clone operation. It's not perfect, as it will only report successful backups, but at least I get a notification that my daily automated backup has completed.

If anyone is interested, the script is:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/bin/growlnotify -n SuperDuper! -m "SuperDuper backup is complete" -a "SuperDuper!.app"

rwross 05-17-2012 12:33 AM

ajmaggs,

Could you explain your script work around a bit more fully. I am not that familiar with scripting so am not sure how, where, or when to use the code snippet you've provided.

Much thanks!

rwross 05-19-2012 06:09 PM

I had also thought about using Hazel to trigger a notification as well.

I found the location of the log file with ~application support but haven't been able to figure a way to get Hazel to recognize stat tat us of the SD log file for the scheduled event.

Seems spotlight doesn't index that folder.

Any other insights or...

Dave...any suggestions other than reverting to the unsupported version of Growl?

dnanian 05-19-2012 09:59 PM

We'll have this fixed, as I've said, in the next update. Until then, the old version of Growl does work...and I think there's a fix posted in Growl's own forums.

scott721 07-05-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31064)

The question as to why they "broke it" is, at this point (almost a year later) largely academic. The fact is that it works the way that it does and they're not going back to the earlier framework. I'd just like to know if there's any hope at all that SD is going to work with Growl in the future or if I need to work out some other mechanism (manual or otherwise) to proactively inform me that a scheduled update has or hasn't run or completed.

Would you be kind enough to provide a binary yes/no answer as to whether SD will work with the new Growl by, say, the end of 2012?

Thanks.

dnanian 07-05-2012 09:07 AM

Yes. As I've stated all along, the next update will support the new Growl.