Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   When will SD be ready for Leopard? (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3142)

Cardiakke 11-16-2007 05:58 PM

When? when?

This is getting long in the tooth!

Damn thing's been out for 22 days. Dev builds were floating around the net long before (Nod, nod, wink, wink).

I don't want to switch to another backup software. I bought this one!

I am disappointed :(

dnanian 11-16-2007 06:02 PM

Please see the blog for an update.

KevinBBG 11-16-2007 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBoy (Post 15538)
Another alternative is to enjoy 10.4.11 while waiting for Apple to remove the land mines in 10.5.X. I've had a great day with 10.4.11 and its markedly improved Safari. While I sleep, my Mac starts up in the middle of the night to enable SD to continue to work flawlessly to update the three extra copies of the system, apps, and data, after which the Mac shuts down for the rest of the night. I can wait for an SD update to be well-done while Apple works to improve what I think is an unpolished offering in 10.5.X.

I always think a new OS needs at least 2 updates to be worth getting. They've done one so far and just recently. I am also waiting for some software to update. SD! isn't the only "must-have" software of mine that has not been updated to Leopard.

Besides, Tiger is working so flawlessly right now I hate to let it go. So I am not changing for a little bit yet.

n89b 11-16-2007 08:07 PM

Thank you - this is exactly what I was hoping for. Now I know at least something about the progress of SD and I know that a release is not impending so I can go ahead and make provisions to stay backed-up until it's released. Thanks Dave.

bearheart 11-17-2007 05:10 PM

Time Machine Backups are Irrelevant

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 15555)
One of the big challenges, by way of updating, is ensuring we can not just copy a Leopard install -- which is relatively easy -- but can also copy (and Smart Update) a Time Machine volume without doing a "low-level" copy... and also handle the types of file layouts Time Machine employs when used by other applications, should they choose to.

I've been patient up to now, but that ends here.

If all I'm waiting for is the ability to backup my Time Machine volumes, I don't really have any need for that. Time Machine is going to get turned off when I finally get to use SD again. Time Machine is useless for me, except as a stop-gap while I wait for SD to be ready for Leopard. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Please release a version that works, with the caveat that it won't backup TM volumes. I don't care if it's perfect for everyone, it just needs to work for most of us right now.

--Bill

bearheart 11-17-2007 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diazruanova (Post 15567)
Wow, I never thought there will be such a polemic discussion :confused:

You've lead a sheltered life.

Quote:

As I see it, those who updated early to Leopard, should have taken into consideration that there are still, important apps that are NOT fully working,
Well, you see it wrong. It's not the responsibility of the consumer to ensure that the products s/he pays for work properly. That's just nuts.

Quote:

Very few people in the Software Industry, gets as deep into servicing his/her customers as Dave does.
Now you're insulting me, and all the other hard-working software engineers out there.

Dave seems like a great guy and all, but he'd do himself and everyone else here a service if he'd quit reading the damn forums and just get the release out. Frankly I was surprised, and not pleasantly so, to see how much he posts in these forums.

Quote:

Nothing is achieved by the horn sounding, because that is not going to make the repair process any faster ;)
If you really think that they guy who honks his horn in traffic does so to get the traffic ahead of him to move faster, you're even more naive than I thought you were. Which was already a lot.

--B

dnanian 11-17-2007 06:17 PM

It's not just backing up Time Machine volumes, Bill. It's properly handling the structures involved, which can be used by any application.

jofallon 11-18-2007 10:57 AM

Perspective

There are still things that don't work quite right with third party products and Vista, over a year after its release. Video drivers are often still buggy; and there are still plenty of things that don't work quite as they used to in XP. And Microsoft devotes far more resources to developers than Apple will ever have.

Carbon Copy Clone doesn't always work quite right, judging by my own experience and the user forums. It does seem that Leopard may have been much more than just an incremental upgrade over Tiger; not that I've ever written code under OS X.

rdlsmith 11-18-2007 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearheart (Post 15586)

Well, you see it wrong. It's not the responsibility of the consumer to ensure that the products s/he pays for work properly. That's just nuts.

Now who's being "naive" ???

As having worked on both sides of the fence, hardward/network administration and now software development I can tell you if you install something without testing that everything you want to run will run you're not only naive you're probably close to being unemployed. Especially something like an OS upgrade. The consumer does have some responsibility here.

I think hardware people have a better grasp of this concept than software people. Especially when it comes to backup software and OS upgrades.

As for your comments about dnanian. That is just off base and rude. He may not be the best communicator but he's honest and I think hard working. I can just imagine the posts if he released something knowing it wouldn't work. One of the things I like best is the fact that I can come here and post and get a fast response. I may have to ask for clarification but he's on it.

You are a consumer. If you don't like the way SD works with Leopard either downgrade to 10.4.11 or find another solution. If you need help downgrading maybe we can help. Ask nicely. If we can't there are the apple support forums or maybe even tech support. I know, they're not the best but if you're half the techie you claim to be you should be able to deal with this situation better than you are.

I think you owe dnanian an apology. It's one thing to make requests and suggestions and maybe even tell him what you don't like but your comments were just rude.

I have made a choice. I forged ahead with Leopard knowing that Time Machine was suspect and SD wouldn't make a bootable copy. I choose to figure out how to make TM work and use that. Again, my choice. If things go south I won't have anything to work on without an install to an external and restore or an internal HD replacement and restore. Leopard isn't perfect by any means but there are reasons I need to use it.

As I understand it, SD will work with Leopard. It just won't make bootable copies? But you still have all your files backed up.

I look forward to the new release of SD. A stable release that I'm sure will be even better than what we enjoy now.

dnanian 11-18-2007 02:37 PM

No apologies necessary: as I said, you're welcome to be rude to me, express your frustration, etc (within reason, of course). Just don't be rude to each other, eh?

eq2675 11-18-2007 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikej (Post 15570)
To those who are waiting for Leopard to get the little bugs worked out, and for SuperDuper to be Leopard friendly, I say: that is fine! But, my earlier point is that for those of us enjoying Leopard already, there is simply no need to go w/o proper backups. By suggesting CCC, I was endorsing that program from years of usage... never with any problems. I like the SuperDuper GUI better, but, hey... both really end up doing the same thing. So, if you are using Leopard, and want a good clone backup (bootable), do not take a chance, and use some other method to make your back ups. I would not trust my valuable data to a no back up scenario... waiting for SuperDuper is fine, but be wise and use an alternative for the time being.

I was doing some testing with my Mac Mini and a FW400 drive. I was warned on another board that I was putting my OS at risk. Well that's OK because it's just a test system. Well I did accidently blow my OS away.

Then it took the usual amount of time to reinstall Leopard. More of a time consuming hassle than I remembered. Man, I wished i had of had a backup.

I'm using CCC now and it does work. I want my SuperDuper, but TimeMachine just doesn't cut it.

Thanks for posting an alternative.

Preston 11-18-2007 03:58 PM

It "sorta" worked for me, but ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevamundo (Post 15359)
Well, did it work?

I did a backup from Leopard so that I could install the 10.5.1 update, and I did not realize that SuperDuper was not "Leopard-ready". It seemed to have backed up all the data files and applications, and the backup drive has almost the same amount of space used as the original. I booted from the backup and that worked, but some issues were immediately obvious: My desktop and dock preferences were not maintained. Instead they were the default values and the dock had only the default items in it - not the large number of applications and folders that were in my original, and not on the left side of my screen. I suspect that I could restore from this backup if necessary, but clearly some of the preferences are not being properly saved so I will hold off on my update to 10.5.1 until I know for sure that I have a backup I can trust.

Diazruanova 11-19-2007 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearheart (Post 15586)

Now you're insulting me, and all the other hard-working software engineers out there.

Dave seems like a great guy and all, but he'd do himself and everyone else here a service if he'd quit reading the damn forums and just get the release out. Frankly I was surprised, and not pleasantly so, to see how much he posts in these forums.

If you really think that they guy who honks his horn in traffic does so to get the traffic ahead of him to move faster, you're even more naive than I thought you were. Which was already a lot.

--B

Oh boy, another desperate, arrogant self centered guy!!!
Yeah, whatever dude, you are certainly right and everybody else is wrong.

Good for you !!! At least, being naive spares me the mental problems that anxiety creates on people like you. :rolleyes:

justflybob 11-19-2007 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preston (Post 15599)
I did a backup from Leopard so that I could install the 10.5.1 update, and I did not realize that SuperDuper was not "Leopard-ready". It seemed to have backed up all the data files and applications, and the backup drive has almost the same amount of space used as the original. I booted from the backup and that worked, but some issues were immediately obvious: My desktop and dock preferences were not maintained. Instead they were the default values and the dock had only the default items in it - not the large number of applications and folders that were in my original, and not on the left side of my screen. I suspect that I could restore from this backup if necessary, but clearly some of the preferences are not being properly saved so I will hold off on my update to 10.5.1 until I know for sure that I have a backup I can trust.

Been there; done that; have mutiple t-shirts.

What I would recommend in your specific case is to downgrade to 10.4.11, and do a migration from the SD backup you now have. Once everything is back to normal, complete a new SD backup and wait for SD to be Leopard compatible. If SD is your bread and butter backup, it is as good as it gets for now. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but at least your data will be safe.