Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Growl 1.3 - no alerts (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6539)

dnanian 01-23-2012 06:11 PM

We are not yet ready to release the next update. If you install the older version of Growl, of course, you will regain notification support.

Sorry for the delay, but as I mentioned before, we're working on an update and Growl isn't significant enough to force out a release for...

rwross 03-24-2012 12:16 PM

Hi Dave...

Just checking in after a couple months to see there's any progress here, either officially, or by the community in developing a workaround. Unfortunately, reverting to the non App store version of Growl isn't an option for me for other reasons :-(

As always...any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dnanian 03-24-2012 04:15 PM

Not from us yet. The Growl guys are distributing something on their forums...

rwross 03-24-2012 09:01 PM

Thanks Dave...

Do you or anyone else in the forum have a link to where the Growl guys are talking about this. I checked out their site and their google forums but couldn't find anything more recent than November.

I've sent them another e-mail as well and will be happy to post back here what I find if I uncover anything before someone else...

ajmaggs 04-12-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwross (Post 31493)
Do you or anyone else in the forum have a link to where the Growl guys are talking about this. I checked out their site and their google forums but couldn't find anything more recent than November.

I've found a thread from February where one of the Growl devs is claiming that a fix was sent to Shirt Pocket some time ago, so it seems that the ball in their court.

Whilst we're waiting, I have come up with a partial workaround, by calling a growl notification via an Applescript at the end of the clone operation. It's not perfect, as it will only report successful backups, but at least I get a notification that my daily automated backup has completed.

If anyone is interested, the script is:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/local/bin/growlnotify -n SuperDuper! -m "SuperDuper backup is complete" -a "SuperDuper!.app"

rwross 05-17-2012 12:33 AM

ajmaggs,

Could you explain your script work around a bit more fully. I am not that familiar with scripting so am not sure how, where, or when to use the code snippet you've provided.

Much thanks!

rwross 05-19-2012 06:09 PM

I had also thought about using Hazel to trigger a notification as well.

I found the location of the log file with ~application support but haven't been able to figure a way to get Hazel to recognize stat tat us of the SD log file for the scheduled event.

Seems spotlight doesn't index that folder.

Any other insights or...

Dave...any suggestions other than reverting to the unsupported version of Growl?

dnanian 05-19-2012 09:59 PM

We'll have this fixed, as I've said, in the next update. Until then, the old version of Growl does work...and I think there's a fix posted in Growl's own forums.

scott721 07-05-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 31064)
At some level, the question is why did they break it?

The question as to why they "broke it" is, at this point (almost a year later) largely academic. The fact is that it works the way that it does and they're not going back to the earlier framework. I'd just like to know if there's any hope at all that SD is going to work with Growl in the future or if I need to work out some other mechanism (manual or otherwise) to proactively inform me that a scheduled update has or hasn't run or completed.

Would you be kind enough to provide a binary yes/no answer as to whether SD will work with the new Growl by, say, the end of 2012?

Thanks.

dnanian 07-05-2012 09:07 AM

Yes. As I've stated all along, the next update will support the new Growl.