Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Very Sluggish or Hangs on Tiger (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4197)

edinstereo 06-15-2008 10:36 PM

Very Sluggish or Hangs on Tiger

Version 2.3.1

Server: G5 2.3 Dual PPC 5GB RAM, OS: 10.4.11
Client: MacBook Pro 2.33 Intel core 2 Duo 2GB RAM, OS: 10.4.11

When running netTunes it is very typical that after about 5-6 songs, NetTunes either:
a) Has a very slow response time to any client side input. e.g. Clicking on the netTunes/ iTunes window, the servers control window, or even the NT menu bar takes 3-5 seconds.
b) Hangs. Requiring a force quit and reopening NT.

My wireless network has full signal levels. I have yet to have a session of NT not have issues. I use it probably 5 days a week about 1-2 hours each time. When the MPB goes to sleep NT always hangs. Note that the Server is not set to sleep.

I've had NT installed for over 1 year. Maybe this has been happening after version 2.3.1. The first version I installed did not do this at all. forgot which version.

EDIT: 95% of the time I only have Firefox running along with NetTunes.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? What actions should be taken to remedy this?

Thanks, ed

dnanian 06-15-2008 11:32 PM

That's awfully strange, Ed -- it's not anything I've seen here. Did this just start happening?

edinstereo 06-16-2008 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian (Post 19845)
That's awfully strange, Ed -- it's not anything I've seen here. Did this just start happening?

Yes. seems like it is new. and nothing on either system changed. Way back when the amount of delay after a click on the iTunes window (client side) was about .5 seconds before the click would highlight the item. That is very reasonable.

Now even the << || >> controls on the menu bar have a delay or freeze. Those were always the quickest compared to the iTunes window.

Would a reinstall of NT help?

EDIT: no other programs on either machine are crash prone (except for some Flash triggered thing on Firefox occasionally).

Thanks,
ed

edinstereo 06-16-2008 02:15 AM

I may have found the solution....

I double checked all the preferences to make sure the Hard Drive on either machine was not set to go to sleep, etc... no sleep settings.

But....the one preference in the that I normally/previously didn't use in my house is one in Network>Airport Preferences. There is an option to "Use Interference Robustness" After checking that option, everything seems normal with NetTunes operation. Even after laptop is put to sleep the Network panel shows "Reconnecting to server" message and then is connected. This seems to have also solved the sluggishness and hanging.

To test I've been very quickly clicking every area in the iTunes window and all get activated or highlighted in a split second....just like the good ol days.

Maybe a neighbor has some new electronics that was interfering with my wireless network? Nothing on my side has changed and the distance from the laptop to server is less than 20 feet (in another room).

Back to lovin NetTunes!

Cheers, ed

dnanian 06-16-2008 07:43 AM

Sounds like it! I'm glad things are working better, Ed!