Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   sleep option after a scheduled backup not working (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1439)

rdlsmith 07-09-2006 04:09 PM

sleep option after a scheduled backup not working

I set a scheduled sparse image backup to run today and as an option I selected the put computer to sleep after a successful copy.

Looking at the log, it seems the copy worked. I'm able to mount the sparse image and just a quick look suggests that at least the top level folders were created.

Here's the last part of the log file:
| 02:23:00 PM | Info | Evaluated 265738 items occupying 26.06 GB (49703 directories, 190481 files, 25554 symlinks)
| 02:23:00 PM | Info | Copied 315334 items totaling 25.98 GB (49687 directories, 190408 files, 75239 symlinks)
| 02:23:00 PM | Info | Cloned 25.98 GB of data in 1939 seconds at an effective transfer rate of 13.72 MB/s
| 02:23:00 PM | Info | PHASE: 3. After Successful Copy
| 02:23:00 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Making Backup bootable
| 02:23:00 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS X System Folder
| 02:23:01 PM | Info | Successfully blessed Mac OS X folder on Backup
| 02:23:01 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Blessing OS 9 System Folder
| 02:23:01 PM | Info | Did not bless Mac OS 9 System Folder on Backup because it does not exist.
| 02:23:01 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Restoring Spotlight search indexing state on Backup
| 02:23:01 PM | Info | ...ACTION: Unmounting Backup
| 02:23:01 PM | Info | ......COMMAND => Unmounting '/Volumes/LaCie Backup/SmartUpdate/Backup.sparseimage'
| 02:23:03 PM | Info | "disk2" unmounted.
| 02:23:03 PM | Info | "disk2" ejected.
| 02:23:03 PM | Info | Copy complete.

Is the this a good transfer rate?
"Cloned 25.98 GB of data in 1939 seconds at an effective transfer rate of 13.72 MB/s"

Also, what is the "bless" this and that all about?

dnanian 07-09-2006 08:31 PM

Your transfer rate looks just fine. The sleep command, though, wasn't in the scheduled item. My guess is you changed it in the main window. The main window, though, isn't the scheduled copy -- the scheduled copy is in the Scheduled Copies window. Once you've scheduled, they're no longer connected.

So, if you want to change an option for a scheduled copy, delete the one you have and reschedule it.

Hope that helps!

rdlsmith 07-09-2006 09:45 PM

That worked but...

It didn't ask for a password. Yet, when I logged out and back in as a Guest account, I couldn't access the files under my real user's Document directory.

That's as it should be.

It also put the computer into sleep mode this time.

Shouldn't it have asked for a password? Did it store the password somehow?

If the HD should crash, and I have to reinstall from the DVDs (which I shouldn't have to do as I have a bootable partition on an external HD) how would I access those files under the Documents directory?

Let me make sure my question is clear, say the internal HD fails, I reinstall OS X from the DVDs that shipped with my computer. I create a new user account with the same name as I was using before, mount the external firewire drive. How do I access my files in order to do a restore?

Yikes, I don't like either answer. One is, if I create with the same name I can access my files. That would mean any hacker could borrow the drive and do the same so I'm sure that won't work.

The other answer is, it's not really the same account so there's no way to get to the files. What good is that? Suppose the external boot partition didn't work for whatever reason?

I want a way to tie the backup to a password. Maybe the entire sparse image. Is there a way to do that?

dnanian 07-09-2006 09:53 PM

You mean authorize? It wouldn't authorize again, since it was already unlocked.

Your files aren't secure either on the source or the backup; you can just turn "ownership" off and get access to anything on the external drive. And, of course, when you start up from the backup, you get access to your files when you log into your account.

You can create an encrypted sparse image with Disk Utility, though. Note, though, that you cannot boot from the backup if it's in an image until restored.

Is your Home folder FileVaulted?

rdlsmith 07-09-2006 10:11 PM

?

Argh. I thought I understood all of this.

I'm not using FV. Wanted to avoid doing so if at all possible.

"you can just turn "ownership" off and get access to anything on the external drive"

How does one do that?

I was under the impression that they were secure. If you don't know the password, you can't get to them etc. At least that's what I took from our previous exchange on the subject. How could I be so off track on this???

dnanian 07-09-2006 10:44 PM

You turn ownership off by selecting the external drive, doing a "Get Info", and checking the "Ignore ownership" checkbox.

If you have a Firmware password, which is what you were talking about before, your internal files are relatively safe. Your backed up files are not, since that drive is accessible. If you want to secure those, you need either a drive with hardware security or you need to store things in a sparse image with a password (created with Disk Utility, then point SD! at the image you created), recognizing that you cannot boot from that image until it's restored.

rdlsmith 07-09-2006 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
You turn ownership off by selecting the external drive, doing a "Get Info", and checking the "Ignore ownership" checkbox.

If you have a Firmware password, which is what you were talking about before, your internal files are relatively safe. Your backed up files are not, since that drive is accessible. If you want to secure those, you need either a drive with hardware security or you need to store things in a sparse image with a password (created with Disk Utility, then point SD! at the image you created), recognizing that you cannot boot from that image until it's restored.

So that is a case for following the FAQ we talked about. If I use the Disk Utility to create the sparse image, then the external Firewire drive is secure? And SD can Smart Update it?

How do I use DU to create a password protected 'sparse' image? I see the 'New Image' option. Is that a sparse image? Should image format be read/write and then set the Encryption?

I realize I can't boot from it but can I restore from it if I know the password? Could I boot from another external partition, and use SD to copy from the sparse to a new HD put things back the way they were when the image was taken? Even if I'm not logged in as the original owner, if I know the password for the sparse image, can I put things back and have my user account and permissions etc. restored to a brand new drive etc.?

Will the sparse image work even if done while booted from the local partition? Can it back up itself?

Finally, what's the difference between SD creating the smart image and DU creating it? What about that makes it more secure? The Encryption option you can set?

dnanian 07-10-2006 05:21 AM

To create the image, follow the FAQ entry, but set an encryption option. A sparse image is one of the image types -- the FAQ has the data there.

You can open the sparse image if you have the password. Once open, it's just like any other volume, and you can use SD! to do what you'd like. As a destination, we'll automatically handle it like any other sparse image as long as your password is in the keychain.

A sparse image can't back up itself (can't be stored on the volume you're backing up, since that'd be a "hall of mirrors" effect).

There's no difference between DU creating a sparse image and SD doing it, since we use DU to do the create. There are just more options.

rdlsmith 07-10-2006 07:32 AM

?

"If you want to secure those, you need either a drive with hardware security or you need to store things in a sparse image with a password (created with Disk Utility, then point SD! at the image you created), recognizing that you cannot boot from that image until it's restored."

Then:
"There's no difference between DU creating a sparse image and SD doing it, since we use DU to do the create. There are just more options."

So which is it? Do I need DU like the FAQ says or not?

dnanian 07-10-2006 07:39 AM

If you want to create a sparse image with a password (encrypted), you must use Disk Utility. That's one of the other options, as I mentioned.

rdlsmith 07-10-2006 11:59 PM

Now it's working, what I did, what I discovered and thanks

Okay, now it's working. I ran some tests again.

Creating an image with DU doesn't run a full backup. It just creates a 'shell' for lack of a better word. Then you can use SD! and perform a Smart Update.

Seemed to work. I couldn't get to the files w/o knowing the password. And I mean any of the files. You're not just kept from the Home area but the entire image. That's way better than before.

I did a restore to another partition on an external drive and booted from it. If that had been my new HD it would have put things back like they were at the time of backup. And it's secure. Is that too much to ask for? ;)

I didn't use the KeyChain thing as I don't understand it yet. I don't mind running things manually for now. It works! That's all I care about for the moment.

Sorry to be such a thick headed bother and thanks for your help.

dnanian 07-11-2006 08:29 AM

You're not being thick-headed: this stuff is confusing and complicated. Glad a Disk Utility created sparse image (which, yes, is an empty image) worked for you. :)