Shirt Pocket Discussions

Shirt Pocket Discussions (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/index.php)
-   General (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Newbie needs help! (https://www.shirt-pocket.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285)

RPM 04-13-2005 08:38 AM

Newbie needs help!

I dl'd and purchased SD 1.5.5 (v74) last week, removed every trace (so I thought, anyway) of CarbonCopyCloner from my drive, and ran SD's basic "Backup - All Files" script.

But I was overwhelmed by the info on using cronCronniX to schedule SD, so I just planned to run it manually until I could figure out the scheduling (I've never written or edited scripts).

Now I'm amazed and puzzled by the fact that _something_ is continuing to perform a backup every evening at 7:30 p.m., which is when I had set up CCC to do the job.

The SD log seems to indicate that it hasn't run since my last manual run a few days ago.

QUESTION: What vestige of CCC might still be performing daily backups? How can I find it and put it to rest?

dnanian 04-13-2005 10:06 AM

Hm. As I recall CCC uses cron to schedule psync to back up. So, I'd suggest either reinstalling CCC and using it to disable its own schedule, or downloading CronniX to disable it yourself.

Note, BTW, that the scheduling can be done with iCal as well as Cron. A fellow forum member posted instructions -- give search a shot, using 'ical' as the term, and it should be easy to find.

RPM 04-19-2005 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnanian
Hm. As I recall CCC uses cron to schedule psync to back up. So, I'd suggest either reinstalling CCC and using it to disable its own schedule, or downloading CronniX to disable it yourself.

Note, BTW, that the scheduling can be done with iCal as well as Cron. A fellow forum member posted instructions -- give search a shot, using 'ical' as the term, and it should be easy to find.

Everything's fine now, Dave. CronniX did both jobs for me. Thanks for the help!

dnanian 04-19-2005 06:20 PM

Great, glad you're all set. Thanks for the follow-up!

dracula 05-03-2005 01:46 PM

Cronnix time user interface

I just registered last night and downloaded Cronnix to automate SD.

I found the Cronnix time window to be confusing. If the Every day was checked and I set the time as H2 M0 without touching day,month,year did that set the backup script to run at 2:00 AM every day?

dnanian 05-03-2005 02:04 PM

You know, CronniX *is* confusing. But there's an easier way. Use CronniX to *un*schedule, and use iCal instead.

To do so, create an event in iCal for the time you want the backup. Set it to repeat with the frequency you want. Then, set an alarm for 0 minutes before.

The alarm type should be "Open file". Choose the "Daily Backup" application as the file to open, and you're all set!

dracula 05-03-2005 03:14 PM

Thanks. I will give that a try when I get home.

Two more things:
1. There were two items in the Extras folder. Are they just two different scripts and I should just use the Daily Backup?

2. Should the Backup script reside only in the Saved Settings folder (the default) or can it reside anywhere?

dnanian 05-03-2005 05:19 PM

They're the same script -- one in source form, and one compiled. Use the application -- the compiled one.

Always save your settings to "Saved Settings" if you're going to use them with the script. Otherwise, you'll have to modify the script to specify a full path.